Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a '69 Camaro 25.2 Chassis...

My specs(Tim McAmis) have the chassis set at 4.5". My problem is that I can't fit 34.5 slicks with the rockers at 4.5"(No, 33" won't fit either).

My question is can or should I mount the body(rockers) 1.5" higher than the bottom of Chassis? Anyone done this? Any issues?

After the Chassis is built, I can come back and redo the outer rockers so that they are flush with the bottom of the Chassis. Just so it 'looks' better.

·
Registered
16,388 Posts
Not understanding why you can't fit your slicks? Are the tubs already in the body? Or are you running into the tops of the quarter panels?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I see not reason not to. But I do not see it solving your problem. I mounted mine 1" higher and am happy that I did. I am not a pro though.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I am guessing it would probably be a combination of top quarters and rear window/ window panel. Following Tim Mcamis suggestion of mounting a 47" tub 39 inches off the ground would put the tub outside the body on most cars, unless it sits like a hot wheels car in the back end or you offset the wheelbase way forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can fit 33.5 on mine no problem would have to raise shocks to fit 34 or bigger do not see a need to raise body unless you didn't get tubs in correctly

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Lots of pics, it started out as a Drag Week type build with a 540 and a F3, was originally going to be on E85 with a WTA intercooler but just recently converted to methanol with a separate fuel system for street driving, just about to make it's first pass,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your Chassis height? I'm working at keeping my Chassis height at 4.5". The only area I have an issue with is the outer edge of the slick and the sail panel(I have extended sail panels). The 34.5's aren't gonna work. I'll probably end up going with 33's. No tubs yet.

I can fit 33.5 on mine no problem would have to raise shocks to fit 34 or bigger do not see a need to raise body unless you didn't get tubs in correctly

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have up on Jack's currently motor is apart I will put in down in a few days and measure it dont remember what it is also I will measure how wide my rear end is sounds like you may be wider than mine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My rear end will be 32.25"

I have up on Jack's currently motor is apart I will put in down in a few days and measure it dont remember what it is also I will measure how wide my rear end is sounds like you may be wider than mine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, my rear axle center line will be 2" forward. My only area of concern is the very outer/top edge of the slicks and the sail panels which have already been widened.

With the body raised 1.5" the clearance for the above mentioned area is almost 3". I'm trying to figure out if that will be enough considering that the slick will get 'narrower' as it gets taller. I have all the room in the world everywhere else, it's just that outer/top edge and the sail panel.

I am guessing it would probably be a combination of top quarters and rear window/ window panel. Following Tim Mcamis suggestion of mounting a 47" tub 39 inches off the ground would put the tub outside the body on most cars, unless it sits like a hot wheels car in the back end or you offset the wheelbase way forward.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's a lot more work but you could always try a long gradually blending incline of the quarters into & out of the wheel tubs so there is a smooth transition between the two, and not an abrupt wheel tub "bubble" popping out of the quarters.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It would seem when thebwheel get taller they would move away from the sail panel, maybe raise the back of the chassis amd inch, and see where you would be with suspension compressed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you have moved the sail panels already this may not help but, Chassis Engineering has a kit to move the sail panels out to within about 1/2"-3/4" of the top edge of the quarter. They did a '68 that had a ride height of 4-1/2" both body and chassis. Car runs 34.5's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the kit that I used. I believe that Blue '68 Outlaw 632 Camaro runs 33's, but if anyone knows for sure otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing.

If you have moved the sail panels already this may not help but, Chassis Engineering has a kit to move the sail panels out to within about 1/2"-3/4" of the top edge of the quarter. They did a '68 that had a ride height of 4-1/2" both body and chassis. Car runs 34.5's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts