Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to be able to stay at the track when going out of town 10-12 events a year

Seriously considering a Used 2000-2007 non-def diesel Motor-home and upgrading my current enclosed to a new 28'
or keep my 18 Ram 3500 and buy a 44' LQ Gooseneck

I have room for either and can afford either just looking for advice pro's and con's

·
T/S 368E
28,982 Posts

I'm a 5th wheel guy, and I need trucks for my company, so I will always go with big trailer & truck over motor home!!!

That being said, I plan to retire in the near future, so I'll still go with big trailer,
but might consider a smaller toter if a smoking deal comes my way???

I'm just not feeling the big motor home is the way to go???
We are there to race, I don't need all the niceties of a $200-300,000 motor home some guys race out of.
It's easy to bring some air mattresses or cots, and use the motorhome money for shower/toilet package and have a shit ton of dough left.
I've seen some LQ set up's that were nicer than my 1st apartment.

All I need is an ice box, hibachi/hot plate, and a shower!!!

Good luck, have fun & race safe!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Really depends on how much traveling you are planning to do. I have a LQ trailer and a toter. Short trips I take the truck and trailer. Long trips I take the Toter. The toter is nice with a fridge and big holding tanks. Also has a diesel generator that used far less fuel than the gas generator in the trailer. The toter has a nicer shower. Traveling is more comfortable in the toter. It does cost more to maintain the RV than the truck.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Heres my take..I had the Kenworth 53' lq combo, then pulled it with a dually. Took me 8 months to sell my lq trailer that was immaculate. They are hard to sell because 1. They are long and 2. Whoever buys one has to have the rig to pull it safely with. I went back to a 34' and I love the thing. Most are going to motorhomes now and tags do if I ever sell my 34' chances are itll sell quicker than that long behemoth. Just my .02

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a 44ft goose neck trailer. The generator, fresh water tank, air compressor, ans propane bottles are mounted up there. There is still storage room up there for chairs and what not. Then the bathroom. Sink, toilet, and full size shower. That takes up 5 ft. of it. Outside the bathroom is the refrigerator, microwave on one side and a 2 burner cook top on the other. That leaves 28' of floor space. By the time you put the car and golf cart in there there is no room in there at all. So if you did want to sleep in there you would have to leave something outside which im not willing to do. Therefore we are still sleeping in the truck. We also insulated the shit out of it and on a hot day with the sun beating the AC still can't keep up.

My friend has an older very low mile diesel motor home that still looks brand new, he got for $25,000, and pulls a new $10,000 28' tag. All his gear (car, golf cart, air compressor, and tools) fits in the tag and they are very comfortable in the motor home with plenty of room, all the amenities, nice beds to sleep in, and nothing has to sit outside. I don't care how hot it is outside, its cold as hell in that motor home. No sweat.

I paid 65,000 for my truck and probably have $20,000 in a used goose neck. I could have bought his setup and a brand new half ton gas job for the same money or less and would have been way happier.

Then if you just wanted to go camping you could, with plenty of room, and you always have a backup if something were to happen to your home like your AC going out or any other reason too. Peace of mind.

Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I have a 44ft goose neck trailer. The generator, fresh water tank, air compressor, ans propane bottles are mounted up there. There is still storage room up there for chairs and what not. Then the bathroom. Sink, toilet, and full size shower. That takes up 5 ft. of it. Outside the bathroom is the refrigerator, microwave on one side and a 2 burner cook top on the other. That leaves 28' of floor space. By the time you put the car and golf cart in there there is no room in there at all. So if you did want to sleep in there you would have to leave something outside which im not willing to do. Therefore we are still sleeping in the truck. We also insulated the shit out of it and on a hot day with the sun beating the AC still can't keep up.

My friend has an older very low mile diesel motor home that still looks brand new, he got for $25,000, and pulls a new $10,000 28' tag. All his gear (car, golf cart, air compressor, and tools) fits in the tag and they are very comfortable in the motor home with plenty of room, all the amenities, nice beds to sleep in, and nothing has to sit outside. I don't care how hot it is outside, its cold as hell in that motor home. No sweat.

I paid 65,000 for my truck and probably have $20,000 in a used goose neck. I could have bought his setup and a brand new half ton gas job for the same money or less and would have been way happier.

Then if you just wanted to go camping you could, with plenty of room, and you always have a backup if something were to happen to your home like your AC going out or any other reason too. Peace of mind.

Just some things to think about.
We also have a motor home but for reasons not associated with my car. It's actually my wife's RV. I just repair it, wash it, wax it, drive it, and pay for it...lol. It's just for our vacations but it has towed the car to the track once and it made things much easier since my wife is not really an outdoor person. We did not even spend the night at the track. As we were leaving I realized I was pretty dirty after fooling with the car all day. Before cranking up and heading home I realized that I could shower up before we left.

If I was ever to do the racing thing more often I would absolutely use a motor home instead of a truck and trailer. Just my opinion.

·
T/S 368E
28,982 Posts

Obviously if you can get a diesel unit for that cheap, it changes the thinking.
The guys I know with diesel MH's paid $200,000 plus.
One guy paid over $400,000 and I couldn't tell the difference between that one & his son's $230,000 model??

I'm still going with a 5th wheel, and pick up, but will definitely be watching for a smaller toter being given away cheap.

I love my triple TAG that I have now, but still think I would rather have more trailer,
especially once I close up my business and travel full time.
Like I said, I care more about racing than comfort, but I can see the point with a family.
Plus at some point, I think we will be bringing 3 cars. You can't do that with a TAG.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Obviously if you can get a diesel unit for that cheap, it changes the thinking.
The guys I know with diesel MH's paid $200,000 plus.
One guy paid over $400,000 and I couldn't tell the difference between that one & his son's $230,000 model??

I'm still going with a 5th wheel, and pick up, but will definitely be watching for a smaller toter being given away cheap.

I love my triple TAG that I have now, but still think I would rather have more trailer,
especially once I close up my business and travel full time.
Like I said, I care more about racing than comfort, but I can see the point with a family.
Plus at some point, I think we will be bringing 3 cars. You can't do that with a TAG.

You can pick up really nice pushers for 35-60k. Really nice ones. Good ones for less if you know what you doing not to get a bad one.
Nobody is required to spend 200k in the current market

·
T/S 368E
28,982 Posts

I was only speaking on what I know.
My neighbors have a bunch of them, and I know they cost between $230-400,000+.
Of course we all own a business, and they were all bought new.
I honestly had no idea you could get anything that cheap.
What a horrible investment!!! Pay $200-400,000 and only get $50,000 back.

So what is the cheapest new diesel pusher go for that could pull a 32 foot stacker without beating it to death???

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
you should get a pusher that has at least 425 hp to pull a stacker, my 24ft trailer weighs 7700 loaded and my 330 hp cummins pulls it good but a stacker prob adds 5000lb no way mine would pull it without beating on it

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
You can get late 80's early 90's coaches ( Wanderlodge , Prevost, Eagle etc) for decent money. Some have 450hp 8v92's. I understand they are not newer with modern amenities but they are built way better than a "stick" built class A.

·
T/S 368E
28,982 Posts
you should get a pusher that has at least 425 hp to pull a stacker, my 24ft trailer weighs 7700 loaded and my 330 hp cummins pulls it good but a stacker prob adds 5000lb no way mine would pull it without beating on it
How much is that upgrade, and just how in the hell do they get $230,000 for one model, and $430,000 for another, and they are both beautiful, and much nicer than my 1st apartment!!!
I honestly could not tell the difference when my neighbors father stopped by and he said he just paid $400,000+ for it.
They were both beautiful.
My only thought was Pontiac & Cadillac??
A little bit better appliances, a little thicker insulation, and a lot of marked up name recognition??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You can get late 80's early 90's coaches ( Wanderlodge , Prevost, Eagle etc) for decent money. Some have 450hp 8v92's. I understand they are not newer with modern amenities but they are built way better than a "stick" built class A.
This

Mine is a 98 American Eagle. It has everything the newer ones have as far as accessories and still looks new. Real wood cabinets, leather etc. not the cheap stuff. I paid 36k for it. Its been kept inside since new. I bought it from the original owner.
It has the mechanical 8.3 Cummins , the tag says its 375hp it pulls my 28ft trailer loaded with the cruise on comfortably.
I have put tires on it and replaced the radiator right after I bought it. Tha. Its a side draft so I can service it pretty easy. I was told that was a thing so I never looked at a rear radiator so I can't confirm that it really is.

I have had it for 10 yrs and still consider it good money spent. I've been everywhere with it. If I sit back with the cruise on in no hurry on relatively gently rolling interstate it gets 10mpg. If I'm in a rush and keep it at 75 or 80+ that drops like a rock tho.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ours is a 2004 Monaco. We bought it in 2016 with a little over 50K miles. It has the 350 horse 8.3 Cummins with the Allison 3000 trans. It had all new tires, all new batteries, all new leather furniture including the captains chairs, new memory foam mattress and bedding. All real wood cabinets, tile floors, and side radiator. Having a side radiator is a decent upgrade and I would never have a rear radiator. Makes repairs much easier. We bought it from a dealer that was asking 90K. We got it for 61K. Don't get me wrong it's far from perfect. I have fixed several issues minor and major issue including the fridge which we converted over to a residential unit. We have driven it from one coast to the other with only very minor problems. I would imagine with the way the economy is now there are some great deals to be found from people who are jammed up from this virus crap. Long story short if you don't want to maintain or repair little things on an RV go buy a truck and trailer. But if you want to be comfortable get a nice, gently used pusher and enjoy. Just my opinion.
Track day.jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heres my take..I had the Kenworth 53' lq combo, then pulled it with a dually. Took me 8 months to sell my lq trailer that was immaculate. They are hard to sell because 1. They are long and 2. Whoever buys one has to have the rig to pull it safely with. I went back to a 34' and I love the thing. Most are going to motorhomes now and tags do if I ever sell my 34' chances are itll sell quicker than that long behemoth. Just my .02
I agree resale is always a consideration I never buy big ticket items without the idea of selling in the future. selling your 53 sounded like a pain in the ass. Quality, maintained bumper pull trailers 24'-34' are a much easier sell.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
It wouldn't have been as much of a pain had the company I had to try to sell it would have done their job. Lack of advertising and lazy sales people didn't help much. Pissed me off when a 405 street outlaw guy was hot on it too buy and they let it slip away. Could have had it sold 3 months into it. Never again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This

Mine is a 98 American Eagle. It has everything the newer ones have as far as accessories and still looks new. Real wood cabinets, leather etc. not the cheap stuff. I paid 36k for it. Its been kept inside since new. I bought it from the original owner.
It has the mechanical 8.3 Cummins , the tag says its 375hp it pulls my 28ft trailer loaded with the cruise on comfortably.
I have put tires on it and replaced the radiator right after I bought it. Tha. Its a side draft so I can service it pretty easy. I was told that was a thing so I never looked at a rear radiator so I can't confirm that it really is.

I have had it for 10 yrs and still consider it good money spent. I've been everywhere with it. If I sit back with the cruise on in no hurry on relatively gently rolling interstate it gets 10mpg. If I'm in a rush and keep it at 75 or 80+ that drops like a rock tho.
If I get a motor-home that is exactly what I'm looking for a P-Pump 8.3 or a common rail 8.3 I don't really want a CAT I have to do some looking there are a ton of used units for sale.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wouldn't have been as much of a pain had the company I had to try to sell it would have done their job. Lack of advertising and lazy sales people didn't help much. Pissed me off when a 405 street outlaw guy was hot on it too buy and they let it slip away. Could have had it sold 3 months into it. Never again.
Ouch, I tried to sell one of my mustangs a few years ago thru a third party never again, they had it priced so high it would never sell,
I think they were looking for a out of country sucker. I went down picked it up and sold it on my own.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts