Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home from Cecil County Sunday the A/C was blowing warm air. The compressor was cycling so I thought it was low on refrigerant. I bought on of those recharge cans with the gauge and hose on it and when I hooked it up the gauge was cycling from high on the good pressure range to low on the low pressure scale. What would cause this problem?. The gauge should hold a steady pressure, correct?

·
TD 3550
3,230 Posts
Pressures should be steady Case in point.
Outside ambient @ 80F
High side (Red) average 175-210 Psi
Low side (Blue) average 40-50 Psi

High side is from Comp to Condenser
Low side is from Comp to Evaporator.

The higher the outside
ambient, the higher the pressures.
Did it cool on the way there? Quick cycling is a possible of low Freon or a clutch switch/restriction .Too many variables. Is there an electronic fan for the Condenser in the front that assist with the condenser cooling. Also many variables. Over charging also can cause quick cycling. High side sees too much head pressure, off it goes.. Protects the reed valves. Some times best to get it into a shop, suck it down to 28-29, check for leaks. Could be something as simple as a pressure switch also.Believe me i know you hate to take it in. Hold on to the check book with these shops.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pressure should only be steady while in standby, not running. While running, with compressor on, the low side will read lower than standby and the high side will read higher than it's standby pressure, indicating the compressor is doing it's job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it cooled on the way to the races. It's a Kodiak 5500 with the 8.1 gas engine, it has a fan on the engine only, no electric fan. I only have the gauge on the recharge kit which hooks on the low side port on the accumulator and it swings steadily from about 15 to 50 as the compressor cycles at a steady rate of about 20-30 seconds per cycle.

·
TD 3550
3,230 Posts
If you can put a set of gauges on it. See where the high side is at while it is running. Also look at the fittings/hoses areas.Look for a mist of oil dusting (Leak). Also look at the front of the condenser if you can see it. Look for any form of slight impact. I get then all the time on Semi work,. Where as a rock got kicked up and impacted the condenser. Leak.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
7,893 Posts
First thing.... take that fucking gauge you were using and throw it out the window when you're going down the road.
Now put some real gauges on it and see what both side are doing.
Usually anything over 10 years old new a new condenser, orifice tube/TXV valve (they get some garbage on them and cause a restriction) to make them work like they should.
If both side are high on pressure you probably overcharged it or the system is hot... like the condenser isn't doing it's job because it has bent fins, not enough air flow.
I do plenty of A/C work and understand it.
Hand Finger Nail Gas Jewellery
Road surface Wood Asphalt Grey Trunk

·
TD 3550
3,230 Posts
First thing.... take that fucking gauge you were using and throw it out the window when you're going down the road.
Now put some real gauges on it and see what both side are doing.
Usually anything over 10 years old new a new condenser, orifice tube/TXV valve (they get some garbage on them and cause a restriction) to make them work like they should.
If both side are high on pressure you probably overcharged it or the system is hot... like the condenser isn't doing it's job because it has bent fins, not enough air flow.
I do plenty of A/C work and understand it.

View attachment 283046 View attachment 283047
LOL Looks like the damn Ottawa's i work on. Packed solid. In the shit gravel lots. Had one last month. Damn Evap was plugged solid. Back in the day orifice and TXV's were hot sellers. Everything got an orifice. Suck it down and shit can the orifice.
Orifice broke off.Hack the bitch off and put the kit on it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it is not the roof a/c units. the condenser looks ok but i have not done a real thorough inspection of it or the lines, i will do that in the morning. i will have to call around and see if anyone has a set of gauges i can borrow. it is not the f53, it is a 5500 kodiak.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
7,893 Posts
LOL Looks like the damn Ottawa's i work on. Packed solid. In the shit gravel lots. Had one last month. Damn Evap was plugged solid. Back in the day orifice and TXV's were hot sellers. Everything got an orifice. Suck it down and shit can the orifice.
Orifice broke off.Hack the bitch off and put the kit on it.
I'll bet over 50% that come it for A/C not working/not working right get an orifice tube/TXV and condenser, then the rest at least get the condenser and radiator cleaned and check the orifice tube... I have cleaned them.... they only cost $2

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i rented a gauge set fro autozone. high side is 70/ low side is 62 system off. system running the high side is 70 and rises to 80 when compressor engages. low side is 58 and drops to 18 when compressor engages at which point compressor disengages. compressor reengages at 58 and it repeats. there is a large oil stain on the condenser so it probably has lost most of the freon and needs a new condenser and recharge.
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
TD 3550
3,230 Posts
Glad you found it.. Yes that is refrigerant oil. Also do a visual on ALL the connections you can see.The other situation is in fact how much oil the system has lost especially from the compressor. Remember that is the high side with high pressures. Escape is rapid. We don't know in fact how much oil is left in the compressor. Some guys add 4 oz of oil charge and send it. I don't..I pull the compressor, empty the remaining contents. Turn it upside. manually turn the clutch to empty. Reverse the procedure filling it with the proper oil amount.. Pending on what comp it has, some have a fill plug on it.. If you can rent a vacuum pump. Pull it down to 28-29 for about 1/2 hour. Click it off and watch the gauge closely. Just some pointers.When shopping for the condenser. Pre measure your old one. L x W x thickness. Just to have if needed.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the tips and recommendations. a shop not far from me has been recommended by a friend who works for a local trucking company who uses them for repairs. i will go over there and talk to them about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My older brother's just obsessed with cars, motorcycles and all that stuff. To tell the truth, I don't have a good understanding of the car things. When he starts to tell about his car problems, I'm like listening to a foreigner, who speaks a different language. But I remember he had a difficulty with ac and told me about the clearwater air conditioning repair. Idk, maybe I should be like my brother and pay more attention to the cars. At least it's a real male hobby. I really like watching races and also how my brother drives. He does it so cool.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Damn these bumper-scammers aren’t very creative.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick update // shop pulled a vacuum on system and found no leaks, they recharged it and it seemed ok whenlast used but outside was only low 50's. it is under cover for the winter so we will see what happens in the spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts