Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been giving my 2003 Cobra 2.3 whipple a workout for the last year (almost exactly) and 11K miles. I started noticing intermittent cooling issues in the last couple weeks So yesterday while leaving for work (temps at 90C on test mode), winding the car up in 1st had catastrophic results. I have not torn down the motor yet, but I believe at this point, given how quickly it happened I dropped a valve. Literally within 1 millisecond there was a cloud of burning oil smoke and some of the nastiest sounds I ever heard in my life. Given the car shaking from side to side, I assume to be a completely demolished piston.

Background

• Whipple 2.3 17-19lbs w/ twin ford gt supercar pumps
  • ARP headbolts
  • Unknown cams (original builder gone, records only state stage 3 cams, but they're mild. So maybe Crower Stage 3s?)
  • Stock shortblock w/ CP pistons
  • McLeod RXT w/ 26 spline input shaft & MGW shifter
  • Billetflow IRS brace, Delrin bushings for the IRS (some FTBR some Drop Engineering)
  • Bassani midlength headers, offroad x & steeda (borla) catback
  • Billet pulleys
  • Other misc : Innovate wideband on column, crossdrilled and slotted rotors, steeda drop, 10.5 replicas with Nitto 555Rs
  • 586rwhp 556rwtq
So with that out of the way, we all know tradition. When you blow it up you make it stronger. I have the shortblock all spec'd out already.

• Teksid block w/ assembly by either L&M or someone with roughly the same street cred. Trying to stay away from bargain builders.
  • Kellogg Forged 8 Bolt Crankshaft
  • Manley Pro Billet 5.933" Connecting Rods / 7/16" ARP 2000 Bolts
  • Diamond 4.6L Forged Pistons -19cc dish and offet pins
.275" Down Top Ring for High Boost / Nitrous Applications
H-13 Tool Steel .200" Wall Wrist Pins
Valve Reliefs
No coatings

• Total Seal AP Steel Coated Piston Ring Set w/ Napier 2nd Rings
  • Clevite 77 H-Series Rod & Main Bearings
Given that I'll be pushing between 25-27lbs of boost, I'm not so sure I need to port the heads given the coin they want to charge and what little gains I'll get out of it. I expect 750-775rwhp on boost alone. About 850+ on a 100 shot. I won't consider spraying the car until I'm running ProEFI and I will think about spraying up to a 200 shot on the car with ProEFI managing the fuel through my injectors.

I want to run 04 9 thread heads, but I'm unsure what if any valvetrain mods I should be running. I was spinning mine to 7K which is apparently about the limits of the ford ECU. But I would like to build the valvetrain to take 8500rpms if possible. Not because I will use that regularly (but would love to every once and a blue moon once I get a stand alone), but I would just prefer the valvetrain to be working far below its ability.

My fuel system at this point is going to be inadequate. So I've been desperately trying to spec out a whole fuel system without buying on off the shelf kit. Mostly because I want the control of buying the correct items, not to mention the savings of buying them that way. Having sold car parts pretty heavily the last couple years, I know it is a tendency of high performance retailers to throw in cheap replacements when they run out of the good stuff to keep a sale. You ditch your brand name fittings and lines and throw in some ones from eBay. I see this happen frequently and I don't want to be buying another engine if I don't have to, I'm going all out this time.

So far for the E85 switch over, here's what I know will work given my needs

• Division X fuel rail w/ remote mount & fittings AN8 feeds
  • Behind bars racing 18 gallon tank 12 Female feed 8 Female Return 8 Female vent
  • ID1000 injectors (until I spray the car, after which I'll need ID2000s... bastards are pricey!)
What I'm having trouble pinning down is a good, E85 friendly set of external fuel pumps. Why external? Because it looks awesome. ProEFI has a backup fuel pump feature which I love the idea of to save a motor, so I would be running enough to cover total pump failure.

I'm also trying to figure out who makes some good fuel lines and fittings, rather than just buying the lethal kit.

Pictures of my wounded kitten. It is a 100% street car. Any help is appreciated in specing this out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Engine build looks fine, but I would just use the custom Diamond pistons L&M offer. Also, if it were my car I would switch to a standalone like BS3 for big power on E85, because you can run a much better ignition system. Also, use ARP main and head studs, looks like you have the head studs already. I would also suggest either a TSS billet geared oil pump or a Melling billet oil pump.

On the fuel system a -10 feed and -8 return would probably be fine. -12 from sump to pump and -10 from pump output to y-block for rails with -8 to rails.

As far as heads, porting isn't required but you will make the same power with less boost with a good port. Maybe talk with Rich Groh about cams, valvetrain, and heads. You definitely need some springs with bigger cams and higher boost. Probably something with at least 120lb seat pressure so you don't float the valves in higher rpm.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine build looks fine, but I would just use the custom Diamond pistons L&M offer. Also, if it were my car I would switch to a standalone like BS3 for big power on E85, because you can run a much better ignition system. Also, use ARP main and head studs, looks like you have the head studs already. I would also suggest either a TSS billet geared oil pump or a Melling billet oil pump.

On the fuel system a -10 feed and -8 return would probably be fine. -12 from sump to pump and -10 from pump output to y-block for rails with -8 to rails.

As far as heads, porting isn't required but you will make the same power with less boost with a good port. Maybe talk with Rich Groh about cams, valvetrain, and heads. You definitely need some springs with bigger cams and higher boost. Probably something with at least 120lb seat pressure so you don't float the valves in higher rpm.
Appreciate your input. I definitely want to go ProEFI, only thing that's holding me back is the fact its probably about $6500 all said and done between install, parts and tuning.

I'll check into BS3, I got turned onto ProEFI because they caught BS3 sleeping and did E85 way before they did. The video of saadsaad's supra just filling up randomly on E85 was pretty cool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would run at least a .300 down top ring land (I think L&M's custom Diamond pistons are that or more.) TSS billet oil pump or an external setup, I wouldn't put another melling in my car after the failures I've seen.

I'm running the Crower X2 springs in my setup and spin it to 7200 rpm with 26-28psi and no issues with valve float. I believe seat pressure on them is around 100lbs at 1.470.

If you're going to run E85 and spray, you need to certainly rethink the ID1000's. I wouldn't even run the ID2000's (too much money for all the marketing hype.) Just run the Bosch 160's or 200's (High Imp) and use the ID tuning data.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ;) I did some digging and I know how I can build ID2000 equivalents now. Should run me $1200 all in.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
And a little more gets you 225 billet atomizers.

Total engine airflow charges 800 for thier C head cnc work. I suggest looking into having all 32 seats replaced in the heads properly with more interference fit that ford uses. Ive personally seen the seats spin in those heads while the valve job was being cut. You very well couldve dropped one of these seats. The heat of a forced induction setup exacerbates the problem. Oh... That port job was worth 78 rwhp on a build like you are talking about doing.

The GT followers are a touch lighter and are of a much nicer design... But at 22 bucks a pop retail... Could be cost prohibitive. The regular followers ive seen go 9000+.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no idea there was even a follow kit available besides big buck stuff like Jesel. That seems like a no brainer.

As far as a port, probably not going to bother because I will hit my goals on boost alone and pump gas would not support that much power anyways. I mean I could double check but I don't think a stock stroke 4.6 w/ a 3.4 cams and a port would hit 800rwhp. If that was the case I could do away with E85, but then again IDK if I like the idea of running the motor that close on 93. I'm always open to more experienced veterans, but I'm trying to do a safe combo here, so I'm willing to spend within reason for safety items like E85.

Does that kit need anything else to be run on an 04 head? Sells for $280 at summit racing. M-6529-MSVT

·
1-877-MOD-POWR
1,550 Posts
Let us know how we can help, we suggest something like our MMR M2500R pistons for your application, they have the thickest ring land available and come with a ultra strong 9310 pin, these are the same pistons used in the worlds fastest/full body Modular Mustang, for oil pump gears take a look at our hurricane Billet gears, they are precision US made billets with a lifetime warranty!

We can help you with all aspects of your build from machining to components and keep everything in stock.

Let us know how we can help!

MMR
www.modularmustangracing.com

Here is a picture of the new M2500R pistons and MMR gears, the pistons are available with any spec or dimension, the pins shown are the std pin (not the upgraded 9310 version):

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Get in touch with Michael @ L&M Engines. Tell him what your goals are and Listen to him. I just got my L&M Specific Diamond pistons and they are top notch. Michael knows his shit and actually does the work in-house.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get in touch with Michael @ L&M Engines. Tell him what your goals are and Listen to him. I just got my L&M Specific Diamond pistons and they are top notch. Michael knows his shit and actually does the work in-house.
Already in contact with them ;) Very reasonable if you spec out your own parts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had no idea there was even a follow kit available besides big buck stuff like Jesel. That seems like a no brainer.

Does that kit need anything else to be run on an 04 head? Sells for $280 at summit racing. M-6529-MSVT
Fyi, that is only for one head, you'll need 2 of those kits for a 4V. I paid $210/ea from Steve at Tousley Ford...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts