Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a lot of small block ford nitrous cars leading the pack in the 1/8th, but what is the most durable/least likely combo to need seasonal rebuilds?

I am planning a build and would like to go sbf/nitrous but would also like a semi-long lasting engine. How many runs/seasons are some of you getting out of 5.0 second build before refreshing or rebuilding?

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ruled out the BBC N/A combo?
I haven't ruled anything out. I'm really just trying to figure out which route I want to take right now, but I don't want an engine that needs to be refreshed every race. And yes, I understand that the tune is an obvious part of it, but I see some guys from combo's that only have to be refreshed once a season, yet are still competitive.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
durability and nitrous you plan on not winning I guess lol Turbo would be my vote gaskets are easy to change vs pistons.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
The BBC combo has shown it can run very well, plus a tuning error is much less likely to hurt parts compared to a boosted or nitrous combo.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Maximum effort na combo regardless of sb, bb, bop, jeep will run you north of 40k. You can buy a lot of gaskets for a nos combo with the price difference.

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
NA BBC would be the most durable IMHO. Alex Hayes engine is 2 seasons old without freshen up, doesn't eat springs, runs 86-8800 rpm. Not a cheap engine however. But durable and cheap aren't in the same sentence for this kind of racing.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is not cheap without getting in to too much detail (as to not waste your time)? Are we talking $20-30k, 30-50k or 50k plus?

If it's on the upper end, perhaps I can see why nitrous and rebuilds/refresh are a bit more feasible. What is the typical refresh or rebuild period for a nitrous SBF 434 (or smaller)?

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Above average costs to make an engine run like that are -

Heads - 7-10k for castings alone finished - depending on engine type and head type.
Intake - 3-5k for intake
Pistons/Rings - 3.5k+
Lifters/Rockers - 6k+
Carb - 3000+
Labor/Knowledge $$$

Block/Crank/Rods are general costs aside from any labor in them.

External items are what they are.

There's 27 grand listed there potentially and we haven't built the engine or listed any other parts.

Need an N/A passion or a bank account that can fund it to endure it ;)

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

Heads - 7-10k for castings alone finished - depending on engine type and head type.
Intake - 3-5k for intake
Pistons/Rings - 3.5k+
Lifters/Rockers - 6k+
Carb - 3000+
Labor/Knowledge $$$

There's 27 grand listed there potentially and we haven't built the engine or listed any other parts.

Qualifying #1 among boosted and nitrous combos = priceless. :)

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
New Heads and intake for a max effort na motor can easily run north of 25 k finished

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Intake - 3-5k for intake
Pistons/Rings - 3.5k+
Lifters/Rockers - 6k+
Carb - 3000+
Labor/Knowledge $$$

Truth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts