700+ more assists than anyone else in history
93 goals more than anyone in history
His number retired by the every team in the NHL
10 of the top 12 single seasons in points scored
11 of the top 12 seasons in assists
4 of the top 10 seasons in goals scored
Led the league in assists 13 straight times
Led the league in points 8 straight times

Who else compares to that kind of dominance in ANY sport?

·
Grade 8 Motorsports
4,617 Posts
While I'm not necessarily a fan, an arguement could probably be made about John Force and his string of 10 (I think) consecutive championships, and 14 or 15 total....

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
DEION SANDERS

Blinding speed and quickness, extreme agility, not to mention great balance and body control, instincts, and jumping ability. He was probably the best defensive player (certainly the best cover cornerback) in the history of the NFL, yet, interestingly enough, he could have been even more of an offensive force. Meaning, if he had been a full-time receiver (with end-arounds and other plays designed to get him the ball), a punt returner, and a kick-off returner.

Plus, if football were not such a physically demanding sport (with people who are getting tackled injured the most) and if he could play offense, defense, and special teams without his body breaking down, sorry, game over. Like maybe a dozen MVP titles and half a dozen Super Bowl titles. As has been said many times before, Sanders took half the field away from the quarterback whenever there was a pass play. And in the pass happy NFL, I cannot think of anything that would give a team more of an advantage.

In high school, he was a letterman in three sports (football, basketball, and baseball) and was (almost unbelievably) an All-State (Florida) honoree in all three sports (would have been four if he had been allowed to run track). In college, he starred in three sports (football, baseball, and track) for the Florida State Seminoles.

In football, he was a two time consensus first team All-American, led the nation in punt return average, and won, ironically, the Jim Thorpe Award for the best defensive back. He played nine seasons of professional baseball (641 games), where he batted .263 (.304 one year), .533 in foiur games of the 1992 World Series, and stole 186 bases.

In the NFL, he played in eight pro bowls, was the 1994 Defensive Player of the Year, was voted to the 1990's All-Decade Team, and won two Super Bowl rings making him the only man to play in the Super Bowl and the World Series. Sanders amassed 7838 all-purpose yards, caught 60 passes, intercepted 53 passes, recovered four fumbles, and scored 22 touchdowns (nine interception returns, six punt returns, three kickoff returns, three receiving, and one fumble recovery).

He ran the 40 yard dash in 4.19 seconds forwards and 4.6 seconds backwards! I saw highlights of Sanders playing basketball (what springs!), and I have little doubt he could also have been a star in the NBA (picture Allen Iverson with a better shooting percentage and practice habits). A superstar or potential star in four major sports, yeah, 74th seems about right.

·
Registered
48,068 Posts
Podge Berrymore.......it was in an Ozzie Rules footy match, he dropped every single player on the other side and 4 of the 12 cops that tried to get him in the van afterwards!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I may catch some slack on this one but boxing isnt the same since his era was over.

Mike Tyson
Titles

• Junior Olympic Games Champion Heavyweight 1982
  • National Golden Gloves Champion Heavyweight 1984
  • Undisputed Heavyweight champion (held all three major championship belts; WBA, IBF, and WBC) – August 1, 1987 – February 11, 1990
  • WBC Heavyweight Champion – November 22, 1986 – February 11, 1990, March 16, 1996–September 24, 1996 (Vacated)
  • WBA Heavyweight Champion – March 7, 1987 – February 11, 1990, September 7, 1996 – November 9, 1996
  • IBF Heavyweight Champion – August 1, 1987 – February 11, 1990
Records

• Youngest Heavyweight champion – 20 years and 4 months
  • Junior Olympic quickest KO – 8 seconds
Awards

·
Registered
48,068 Posts
I may catch some slack on this one but boxing isnt the same since his era was over.

Mike Tyson
Titles

• Junior Olympic Games Champion Heavyweight 1982
  • National Golden Gloves Champion Heavyweight 1984
  • Undisputed Heavyweight champion (held all three major championship belts; WBA, IBF, and WBC) – August 1, 1987 – February 11, 1990
  • WBC Heavyweight Champion – November 22, 1986 – February 11, 1990, March 16, 1996–September 24, 1996 (Vacated)
  • WBA Heavyweight Champion – March 7, 1987 – February 11, 1990, September 7, 1996 – November 9, 1996
  • IBF Heavyweight Champion – August 1, 1987 – February 11, 1990
Records

• Youngest Heavyweight champion – 20 years and 4 months
  • Junior Olympic quickest KO – 8 seconds
Awards

Check out Rocky Marciano......

·
The Dude Abides
18,430 Posts
Kelly Slater, Surfing......10 X World Champ & on his way to his 11th this year @ the age of 39 (i think).
Any event that has to be judged is not a sport.

·
Registered
48,068 Posts
Yup, you guessed it.......itz ME!!

...fuckin' Mike Tyson never had a chance! :p

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
How bout' a top ten? :smt102

1. Muhamed Ali,
2. Tiger Woods,
3. Michael Jordan,
4. Wayne Gretzky,
5. Mike Tyson,
6. Babe Ruth,
7. John Force,
8. Lawrence Taylor,
9. Michael Schumacher,
10. Anderson Silva.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Most dominate High School Player....LOL....Joe Mauer. Batted .607 in his senior year and only struck out 1 time in 4 years...selected 1st overall pick in the MLB draft. In football he threw for over 3000 yards in 1 season with 41 touchdowns!! Offered full scholership to play QB at then National Champion Florida State. Also was named National Player of the year in Football. Basketball he lead his team to a 5A state championship and was named all state his junior and senior season.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this but, Jimmie Johnson.

Dale Earnhardt
Richard Petty
Kenny Wallace
Junior Johnson

list goes on

1 - 20 of 192 Posts