Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a Morton pole building that is lifting out of the ground?

My building was built in 1991 42'X98' and after 3-4 years started lifting up. It's now 7 1/2" up on one end wall and other walls are up also. I heard this weekend about one other Morton building lifting and am wondering if anyone else is having the same problems?

Jim

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,510 Posts
I'd be looking at the geological report you had done to make sure it's recommendations coincide with your states building codes for pole barns.

There is a reason why the ground ( soil ) is heaving.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be looking at the geological report you had done to make sure it's recommendations coincide with your states building codes for pole barns.

There is a reason why the ground ( soil ) is heaving.
Never had a geological report done. It was put up with a town permit and met code. The soil is plain old red clay.

I have always thought the wind is working the building up.

Jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
Call Morton, they may still stand behind it .. great products

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You're growing a new mountain. Dont sweat it, it will take another 100,000 yrs.....

Seriously, you may need to have a geo study done, for your area, if its lifting in the summer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Morton won't do shit....

Great products until there's a problem.

Jim
I have had good experiance with them but its been several years since I needed anything .

I hope you are able to resolve the problem, that is a shame

·
40,510 Posts
Never had a geological report done. It was put up with a town permit and met code. The soil is plain old red clay.

I have always thought the wind is working the building up.

Jim
I highly doubt wind is uplifing your building. How much over hang do you have on your eves, 12" - 16" ?

Many states do not require a geological report, but those that do understand the importance behind them. Just because a state says the frost line is 4' does not mean it is set in stone. If you have a soil density of say 70% this allows moisture to penetrate deeper into the ground allowing the frost line to go deeper. This is one scenario.

Geological reports also show underground water tables and underground water caverns in some cases. Liquefaction is another soils effect that has a bearing on how a buildings footing is designed.

If you do find out what's causing the uplifting, I would really like to know.

·
40,510 Posts
Sorry for all the questions, but this stuff really interests me.

Question: are the poles set in concrete?

Question: if so, what did the plans call for PSI for the concrete, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000?

Question: did an independent laboratory test the concrete for correct PSI.

As an example, using 2500psi concrete in lieu of 4000psi called out on the plans would have a dramatic effect.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
In the midwest if its clay, it will dry out and pull back leaving a gap around the pole the dirt falls in the crack and when water hits it it will swell and hydraulic it up, thats why most house foundations crack and push in.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the midwest if its clay, it will dry out and pull back leaving a gap around the pole the dirt falls in the crack and when water hits it it will swell and hydraulic it up, thats why most house foundations crack and push in.
About 100 miles from here they have that type of clay. It's called "expanding clay". You are right, it will ruin foundations and push buildings up. We don't have that around here.

Jim

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
big tree roots ? any trees nearby?

No trees, no swamp, no fill just plain old red clay.

One thing about the building though. I use it for car, boat and RV storage so it's just a shell. There's no weight to it and that's partly why I have always thought the wind could push it around.

Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts