Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what anyone is running for oil capacity with these pans, They say 6 to 7 quarts with out filter, Is it not that criticle, Pan is new to me. It is a wet sump pan on BBC Merlin. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would run 7 to 71/2 quarts thats includes the filter if it is a wet sump oil system 8 quarts if you are using a single stage external oil pump because of the lines.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thats a nice pan I use them all the time at work on big blocks and small blocks their worth a little power over a regular pan.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I checked the capacity on mine before installing it. The "sump" held exactly 6 quarts. At 6-1/2 it was about 1/2" above the sump area and touching the windage screen.

Craig

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I checked the capacity on mine before installing it. The "sump" held exactly 6 quarts. At 6-1/2 it was about 1/2" above the sump area and touching the windage screen.

Craig
Keep in mind that the oil gallies of the motor will hold some oil, maybe 1/2 quart. Add in your filter volume as well which for mine is around 3/4 quart.

At oil change time the pan (20385?)I have takes 7 quarts including filter.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I run 6.5 qts with a new filter. That seems to work fine for me. I run the Moroso billet pump and restrictors. 240 passes on it now going through the traps at 7600 with a 565 BBC and the bearings look new when I check them.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Keep in mind that the oil gallies of the motor will hold some oil, maybe 1/2 quart. Add in your filter volume as well which for mine is around 3/4 quart.

At oil change time the pan (20385?)I have takes 7 quarts including filter.
True. I always fill the filter seperately, it takes about a full quart, then 6-6.5 in the pan. So I have 7-7.5 in total plus 1.5 in the accumulator.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i have one on my 565. 7 1/2 including 1061 napa filter. use the billet pump and you will love oil pressure when its hot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts