Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am planning on running my BBC with a wet sump (moroso 20486 pan) and an external oil pump, while utilizing the stock oil filter system. I have narrowed it down to 2 pumps, the Peterson 04-1000 or the Moroso 22341. Both are just single stage external oil pumps, with same 1.20" pressure section. Peterson is a 4 lobe and the Moroso is a 3 lobe.

Is one better than the other? The Peterson is a few bucks more and doesn't come with the bracket but it's relatively insignificant. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Moroso makes some good stuff, I run one of their's on my junk. But if I was buying new, I'd go Peterson. Pat Haberkorn works there and has given Yellow Bullet discounts in the past for their stuff. I'd look him up and see what he can do. Great folks and great parts...Can't go wrong here.

·
T/S 368E
25,697 Posts

Also check out SCP pumps. I ran one for almost 10 years before going full dry sump.
They make nice stuff!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The Peterson R4 is a very nice pump. Are you positive it doesn't come with a bracket? My three stage wasn't pictured with one, but did come with one. Pat H. was awesome in getting me set up with what I needed including advice, flow diagrams, bracket drawings, etc., and did give the YB discount to boot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I will think I'm gonna go with the Peterson and talk to Pat when the time comes.

with that said, what is the best mandrel to bolt to my ATI balancer? I need 3 things driven, alternator, fuel pump and the oil pump.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I have a Peterson external wet sump. It came with a bracket but I had to do some major surgery to get it to fit. It looks nothing like the way it came to me. This had nothing to do with Perterson. I just ran out of room with the motor plate and all. I ended up using a Moroso mandrel drive running alt, oil pump, and vac pump.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
thanks guys. I will think I'm gonna go with the Peterson and talk to Pat when the time comes.

with that said, what is the best mandrel to bolt to my ATI balancer? I need 3 things driven, alternator, fuel pump and the oil pump.
The Peterson spline drive.

I went with the KRC R-Lok setup which is also very nice (uses a clover-shaped indexing system, zero pulley walk and stock length balancer bolt), but that is only because I had to fit a combination of brackets and pulleys that Peterson doesn't have available, and it was just easier to work with one supplier.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
My son and I both run blown alcohol engines. His engine has a Peterson external and mine has a Moroso external. Mine I have run for the last 20 years, his about 10 years. Both operate flawlessly. Both are a good choice and will serve your needs. Just pay attention to the pan , oil lines and fittings. These are important areas to do right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Peterson spline drive.

I went with the KRC R-Lok setup which is also very nice (uses a clover-shaped indexing system, zero pulley walk and stock length balancer bolt), but that is only because I had to fit a combination of brackets and pulleys that Peterson doesn't have available, and it was just easier to work with one supplier.

I will have the oil pump and fuel pump (both "gilmer" style belts), and then an alternator which is a v-belt. I currently use the Moroso mandrel but don't really like the super long bolt they use. Would prefer something that bolts onto the ATI balancer.

I have a Peterson external wet sump. It came with a bracket but I had to do some major surgery to get it to fit. It looks nothing like the way it came to me. This had nothing to do with Perterson. I just ran out of room with the motor plate and all. I ended up using a Moroso mandrel drive running alt, oil pump, and vac pump.

oh really? I have a motor plate also and plan on running the oil pump on the driver side and fuel pump on the passenger side. then the alternator somewhere above the oil pump on the driver side.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
oh really? I have a motor plate also and plan on running the oil pump on the driver side and fuel pump on the passenger side. then the alternator somewhere above the oil pump on the driver side.[/QUOTE]

I can take some pics if it would help ya however I have a remote oil filter set up.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I will have the oil pump and fuel pump (both "gilmer" style belts), and then an alternator which is a v-belt. I currently use the Moroso mandrel but don't really like the super long bolt they use. Would prefer something that bolts onto the ATI balancer.

oh really? I have a motor plate also and plan on running the oil pump on the driver side and fuel pump on the passenger side. then the alternator somewhere above the oil pump on the driver side.

If your going to go through all that , clean up the drive and run the fuel pump off the back of the oil pump. Makes life much easier

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can take some pics if it would help ya however I have a remote oil filter set up.[/QUOTE]

sure that would be great, thanks.

If your going to go through all that , clean up the drive and run the fuel pump off the back of the oil pump. Makes life much easier

i'm not sure theres enough rooms. the black aeromotive pump is huge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts