Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a new in the box single stage external oil pump on a trade and was going to switch over from the internal pump. The pump is new but its the 22600 pump with the .875 ID on inlet and outlet. That pump design was around for long time but Moroso replaced it with a pump with 1.100 then 1.200. Moroso tech said run -16 on suction side and -10/-12 on pressure side.

Planned to put this on a 420 SBC thats about 1100hp on one kit...is this still a good pump with the .875 ID over the newer design pumps and worth the change from the internal?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I changed the typo....info I found is .875 pressure and suction with threads for -10.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
It'd be enough, when you look at an internal pump with a .750 pick up, and 1.000 gears....
Most are on the bypass anyways.
Only real benefit is you can change pump ratios by gears and adjust oil psi.
Also take load off the back of the cam.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Are you going to a remote filter? What size is its fittings? What size is the fitting going back into the block. I worked on one external pump system on an aluminum SBC that had no internal pump capability. It had #10 size thru out. But fitting back into the block was only #8. It could not relieve the pressure low enough on its internal bypass. It would blow the oil filter O ring if you went above idle until the oil got hot with the weight of oil desired. Ended up using a smaller capacity Moroso pump to cure the problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Dart Iron Eagle block which has no provision for a filter so the remote filter is a must. Not sure on the thread size of the inlet on the block but looks to be bigger than #8, looks to be 1/2 NPT or so, can check when off work.

Are you going to a remote filter? What size is its fittings? What size is the fitting going back into the block. I worked on one external pump system on an aluminum SBC that had no internal pump capability. It had #10 size thru out. But fitting back into the block was only #8. It could not relieve the pressure low enough on its internal bypass. It would blow the oil filter O ring if you went above idle until the oil got hot with the weight of oil desired. Ended up using a smaller capacity Moroso pump to cure the problem.

·
T/S 368E
30,021 Posts

I don't know that pump, but I ran a SCP with a System one remote filter and -12 line for many many years at 1050 HP.
There was zero oiling issues, and it was nice to have easy priming when I was out of town for a few weeks.

I know some say you don't need priming, it was nice to have that piece of mind!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I think I run the same pump without checking. I've run it for the last 20 years on a variety of egines. From 632 nitrous to 565 ProCharged to my current 540 f3-139 ProCharged. It's served me flawlessly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts