Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I did a search about crankshaft recommendations as well as repairs and such. I have 2 Callies Magnum cranks that I have screwed up the last few years. I have a SBC with 400 mains and run it to about 8400 and 1300hp or so.
The one crank was cut .020/.020 and has had the #3 rod throw welded a little bit and straightened. It has been magged and indexed and all is well.
The other crank is .010/.010 and was never welded on but took some heat and had to be straightened and it was magged again and indexed.
Now do I put one of those back in my motor? My engine builders don't want me to use them but the $1300 price tag of a new one is a big hold up for me this offseason. I have gotten a price on a Lunati Pro series for around $1325, a Crower forged for $1275 and another Callies Magnum for $1380. I spoke with Callies and they mentioned that the Dragonslayer line is the same forging as the Magnum and can be had for like $875 and the only difference is a little work on the counterweights and the fact that the mains are drilled on the Magnum so the DS is like 3lbs heavier but not out on the ends.
Any thoughts or ideas on the use of one of the older cranks or the purchase of a new one in those upper price ranges or thoughts on a Dragonslayer?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I have had problems with welded cranks so I so no to that one. I am with your builder get a new one. Have you looked at Howards or Scat cranks? What has caused the damage to these cranks same problem or two different deals?

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to Skat at PRI and they gave me about a 30 minute lecture on metalurgy which is good but it's their version I guess and my builders aren't too hot on their stuff because of some of the quality issues they have seen. I have not checked on the Howards stuff either. The damage was 2 different issues. The first one was an error on my part and the second was an oiling issue with the new Brodix block and pump combo last year. We made all the calls, did what all the manufacturers said and we still had some sort of oil control issue. I was fine running 1/8th mile but when we went 1/4 at the Shakedown it showed up. Had 75lbs of pressure when the rod let go on the 2nd pass and we had just had the motor apart before that race and all looked good. So new guys doing the motor to see if they can figure anything out but need a crank.

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone????

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I will check them out. Are they comparable with the old Cola stuff?

·
Super Moderator
34,735 Posts
Yes... they are american forgings machined in america... I believe by Callies. Measurements are always right on par with the best of them.

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No kidding? I am checking them out now. I saw your post about them awhile back but never really considered them as one of the big players, ala Callies, Luati, Crower and then the elite of course Bryant, Winberg, etc.

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And real quick Chris would you or would you not have an issue running any of my repaired cranks?

·
Super Moderator
34,735 Posts
I can't really answer that with confidence. I would do exactly what your engine builder says that way he's confident in your engine, and isn't losing his hair when you are at the track racing.... :p

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't really answer that with confidence. I would do exactly what your engine builder says that way he's confident in your engine, and isn't losing his hair when you are at the track racing.... :p
I was just checking to see if were still giving out the right answers as a non-biased moderator and limiting your liability exposure in writing. You passed the test!;)

·
Super Moderator
34,735 Posts
Wish I could tell you an easier answer :D I know when I am stuck using an inferior part in an engine, it is not a comfortable feeling when the customer is racing.....

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just checked out the Howard stuff. The Promax is showing up for around $1200 so it's not much cheaper than that other stuff and is more expensive than the Callies Dragon Slayer.

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I saw that one just not the size I wanted without calling anyway. So you are telling me that I could buy a crank for 600 and it would live in a 1300hp nitrous motor if it's not neglected and it's assembled correctly?

·
Vendor
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure more expensive is always better right? So even though it's $600, and there a bunch of other $600 cranks out there, these guys actually have their act together to sell a superior forging with proper tolerances maintained at a price that is reasonable, as compared to the other places that sell for similar pricing with none of the above being done? I knew at one point I ran a Cola and had no problems with it but even then maybe 8 years ago it was around $800 so I didn't think I could buy something cheaper that would work as well or better.

·
Super Moderator
34,735 Posts
I haven't figured out why Howards stuff is well priced like it is.... their billet rods have worked well for me also, and are relatively cheap.

ALL that said.....

You really can't go wrong with Callies stuff.... even the compstar products are awesome pieces. I have used their I beam rods in some heavy nitrous applications and have had no issues.

Take a look at their ultra rods... great pieces.

If you can't find a howards crank with the right sizing that Dragonslayer crank would be the right ticket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts