Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get your guys opinion on my situation. Putting a glide behind my smallblock and the converter is against the flexplate. I pulled the trans hoping maybe the converter slid out somehow but its in. I have a 3/16 mid plate, ptc converter, reid case glide, jw adapter/flexplate. The converter has shims welded to it for midplate spacing. If I were to remove them then the converter would hit the flexplate bolts, there is about an 1/8 gap. The pilot seems to be engaged well about an 1/8 from the face of converter.

I was thinking I could have the pilot adapter itself milled down to bring in the flexplate and use starter spacers to readjust its engagement. Its about a 1/4 thick. But im concerned that may not give me enough for pull out on the pump clearance. Is there anything that could be done with the converter instead?

Also i bought the converter used. It was behind a sbf and had to send it in once because the bolt circle was too large for my flexplate

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Is it possible that the converter is bottoming on the input shaft? Have you tried removing it and test fitting? Is it possible that the converter was made for a 1/4" midplate?

Hutch

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i pulled the input out and slid it in the converter. I told ptc what I had when I sent it down, they had to change the front cover to the diff bolt circle so I would assume. How do I check?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get to work ill try to put the converter in without the shaft

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you put the converter in the trans (while sitting on the ground) take a straight edge and tell me the distance from the bellhousing to where the converter bolts up to the flexplate.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7/8

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked with the input out, same measurement

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume that the flexplate face from the block is also 7/8" ?

Hutch
From the midplate to converter side of the plate is right at 1"

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now if I put the starter on it, the spacing is correct and I wouldnt have to shim it

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats the pilot adapter, thats what i was talking about having milled down

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really? Gotdammit, cant remember exactly but I thought the hole in the flywheel didnt fit around the crank snout. Ill take it apart and check again

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called jw and they said how I have it usually how they install it with their bellhousing. Ill still try to flip it when I get a chance

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Heres with the plate on the crank itself without the adapter. There is a gap all the way around it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts