Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made about 50 #'s of moose sausage last year and will be doing the same in a few weeks. Last years didn't turn out the best but were still edible. Has anybody got some good recipies they would like to share with this novice?

Jack

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I won't give out the amounts, but I will the ingredients for my sausage. It is a simple mix

salt
black pepper
red cayenne pepper
garlic
MSG (optional)
1 oz of pink cure per 25# meat (if you are going to smoke it, if not then the cure is not needed)

fat- make sure you have enough so it will not turn out dry, but I do not like too much fat either (I make mainly deer sausage, which is very lean, so I add A LITTLE pork fat). Add or take away as much as you like, but remeber, it is a main ingredient.

I don't like the meat ground too fine, but some people do. To me if it is ground too fine, it is alomst like a weiner/hot dog and not a sausage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks skosler, I can usually figure out amounts by doing a little mixing and then tasting. A little more of this and a little less of that type of thing. That was the biggest problem with the sausage I made last year, still a little to dry.

Jack

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Deer:

Take a hind quarter, stuff it full of salt pork, garlic, onion, bell pepper. Smoke it slowly over Hickory logs.

Throw the quarter on the smoker after your afternoon hunt. Take it off the smoker after your next morning hunt and eat it for breakfast.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Deer:

Take a hind quarter, stuff it full of salt pork, garlic, onion, bell pepper. Smoke it slowly over Hickory logs.

Throw the quarter on the smoker after your afternoon hunt. Take it off the smoker after your next morning hunt and eat it for breakfast.
I kind of get what you are saying, but he was asking about sausage recipes, and your's is surely not sausage.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I made about 50 #'s of moose sausage last year and will be doing the same in a few weeks. Last years didn't turn out the best but were still edible. Has anybody got some good recipies they would like to share with this novice?

Jack

Make sure you add pork fat or trim to the moose or deer other wise it will be dry and tasteless. Go to Witts seasoning they are one of the largest makers of seasoning in the country, good stuff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not sure about moose but for deer i always make some with bacon instead of pork.

2-3 lbs. bacon to 6-8 lbs deer is what i do although you can go more or less to get the taste you are looking for.

Salt pepper and brown sugar are the only ingredients i use for this.

Makes a nice breakfast sausage.

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
We here in the north eat alot of moose.When I cook a moose roast I cover it in mustard & black pepper put it in a roast pan with onion & garlic. Cook slow at 300 F

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
Moose burgers we add a bit of beef to the moose meat. Onion,one egg ,cracker crumbs,pepper,salt mix together then on the barbecue in goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts