Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the chassis builders make a chromoly chassis using the mustang II front suspension? Reason I'm asking is I would like to use all the new parts that I have.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
You might find a lessor known chassis builder willing to build a new chassis with a Mustang II front suspension. Most of the big chassis builders are jigged for struts.

When my Beretta was built back in the late 80s / early 90s - it's a CM chassis with a Mustang II front suspension.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
Techguy ... you may want to send the OP a PM.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
The downfall to the mustang 2 stuff is lack of travel (extension) so they don't "work" very well. My TCI was their latest redesign, that gives a lot more extension availability, and it seams to work really well. I've been 1.25 at 3400# on a 275 dr.....street car.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
The downfall to the mustang 2 stuff is lack of travel (extension) so they don't "work" very well. My TCI was their latest redesign, that gives a lot more extension availability, and it seams to work really well. I've been 1.25 at 3400# on a 275 dr.....street car.
Interesting comment.

Mine worked flawlessly. The chassis builder built his own upper and lower tubular A-arms. The only travel limitation was where I cut the shock bumper. If memory serves, I had close to 2" travel.

No question, your application is far different than mine. I was on a wide, bias slick and not a radial.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
I believe they raised the upper mount for the shock, so they could run a longer shock, allowing for more extension before the shock tops out.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
Makes sense.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
Are you looking to have a complete round tube chassis built for your Malibu?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looking to build a round tube CM chassis thinking 25.2 spec. , 68-73 nova body, 111 in. wb. with coil over A arm setup from my 80 Bu. Trying to figure out what chassis width outside of the 1-5/8" OD tubing. Looking at various kits they vary from 21" wide to 24" wide ,but all are made for strut front ends also.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Could make a strut front end chassis into a a arm. Put an additional bar from hoop to front rail. Use lower rail lower arm. Middle rail middle arm. Upper rail shock mount. and just ties the three together for strength and rigidity of you arms. Essential strut with a bar mirroring the top down bar in front for upper arm mount

·
Registered
68,412 Posts

Look at the two vertical bars coming off the top main bar. They are what the upper control arms bolt to on this chassis.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts

Here is a better view. You can see that the rear bar is also used for mounting the front engine plate. You can also see the bolt boss, the upper A-arm bolts too, that is welded on both sides of the same bar. All four upper bolt bosses are alike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I guess I could do that. Yes a full chassis car is what I want. I see some pro stock teams are going back to an a arm front suspension.

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
Looking to build a round tube CM chassis thinking 25.2 spec. , 68-73 nova body, 111 in. wb. with coil over A arm setup from my 80 Bu. Trying to figure out what chassis width outside of the 1-5/8" OD tubing. Looking at various kits they vary from 21" wide to 24" wide ,but all are made for strut front ends also.
Best thing to do is to set your car up on a plate and then locate the front tires' track width and work back from that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts