Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body work removing mold. i went to put the xmas tree away .going up the steps i see black mold on one side. so far i put vents in the softit inslated the stair way door . i spray it with bleach it lighten it up but i can still see it. should i try more bleach. call the pros. or is there some thing better to try
 

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
Joined
·
25,442 Posts
You need to address the water infiltration first before remediation.You have a leak somewhere,correct that problem then spray area with a solution of 1 cup bleach mixed with 1 gallon of water.

That is what the mold removal companies do so you can save big money and do it yourself.Unless you're on the gulf coast the chances of the mold being toxic are 1/10th of 1 %.I've been involved in mold remediation work and know the drill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,508 Posts
You need to address the water infiltration first before remediation.You have a leak somewhere,correct that problem then spray area with a solution of 1 cup bleach mixed with 1 gallon of water.

That is what the mold removal companies do so you can save big money and do it yourself.Unless you're on the gulf coast the chances of the mold being toxic are 1/10th of 1 %.I've been involved in mold remediation work and know the drill.
Wow almost all mold we delt with from Augusta Ga to Greenville SC was considered toxic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
work with a guy that does mold.you do probably have a leak somewhere. bleach just covers it up. need to go to a cleaning supply place and get a chemical called micoban or shock wave and treat it with that. it will kill the mold spores and it shouldnt come back. going under a crawlspace tomorrow to treat it for mold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,759 Posts
any body work removing mold. i went to put the xmas tree away .going up the steps i see black mold on one side. so far i put vents in the softit inslated the stair way door . i spray it with bleach it lighten it up but i can still see it. should i try more bleach. call the pros. or is there some thing better to try
One side of what? The roof plywood?

Adding soffit vents is good, but useless without gable or ridge vents to create a natural flow (hot air rises) of air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Bleach is ineffective at killing mold especially on porous materials, 3 parts water 1 part 35% hydrogen peroxide or a fungicide, or antimicrobial product are used now.

fungicides

Concrobium Mold (Home Depot)

Benefect® Botanical Disinfectant

antimicrobial

Microban®

Man I type slow.....

EPA has some good info http://www.epa.gov/iedmold1/table2.html
 

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
Joined
·
25,442 Posts
Wow almost all mold we delt with from Augusta Ga to Greenville SC was considered toxic.
According to who? I've attended mandatory meetings with professionals when I subbed off one of the biggest home builders in the country and they say otherwise.

Unless something has changed since early 2009 that is what they told us.Most people ASSUME when they see mold that it is toxic.

As far as bleach goes again that is what we were told by the remediation company that MI Homes hired to clean up the stuff.Again my last meeting was in late 2008 early 2009 if something has changed since then I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Here is a good article as to how ineffective bleach is at killing mold on porous materials... I work with the EPA and there is no way I would bleach mold if there was some in my house even on a counter top if there was some.

http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCategory.asp?idCategory=78

Megajoltman has the right idea... We general use 35% hydrogen peroxide and water for 99% percent of the time I have experienced mold.
 

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
Joined
·
25,442 Posts
Damn you guys are quick.Disregard my advice on bleach because things have changed apparently.I learned something on YB today.
 

·
Medium Pimpin'
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
Keep a close eye on it after you treat the affected area. You don't want to fuck around with mould. It's the airbourn side of it that you need to be worried about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
According to who? I've attended mandatory meetings with professionals when I subbed off one of the biggest home builders in the country and they say otherwise.

Unless something has changed since early 2009 that is what they told us.Most people ASSUME when they see mold that it is toxic.

As far as bleach goes again that is what we were told by the remediation company that MI Homes hired to clean up the stuff.Again my last meeting was in late 2008 early 2009 if something has changed since then I don't know.
EPA no longer recommends bleach for mold along with OSHA.. I'm not sure when this accrued though. I started my job in 08 and they where already not supporting using bleach, so I assume it was before then although I am not positive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
I stopped the Contractor use of bleach on my Abatement Projects around 2003-04, it was just not effective and there was way too much generation of toxic fumes. Industrial strength bleach was the norm which was 15-20 percent sodium hypochlorite not the 5-6 % household variety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks the mold is on the ply wood i do have a ridge vent my roofer told me to add the softit vents an insulate the pull down door he said the heat is going thru the door an condensation is making the mold
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top