Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the thickest MLS Gasket and how thick is it for a 4.125 bore Chevy small block?

·
Registered
49,800 Posts
SBC gaskets in that bore are like 0.053 IIRC and thats the felpro perma Torque.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Cometic will make whatever you want. I run a set of 0.074" in a SBF w/ F3.

·
Registered
49,800 Posts
having spent a bit of time playing in that arena myself. The pistons grow alot on the crown. The quench comes in over time. Piston crown growth can push 30+ thou on a really hot engine. I found this out the hard way once. Set quench at 35 and after about a mile or so the piston smacked the head really hard. I was dumb and young then. But it was a lesson learned.

It also seems like the more the higher the engines duty cycle the less the engine care about quench. thermal loading really saturates the head and deck after a while and it would seem from my observations that this thermal loading reduces some clearances and also makes the engine behave more like a auto ignition engine on the long runs.

Not sure what exactly is going on in there but something sure as shit is.

A few years back when i worked with a shop building 650"+ Supercharged offshore powerboat engines, we used MLS cometic head gaskets that were .120" thick. This blew away all my theories about proper quench, but never the less, they lived a full season. 30lbs of boost 1700HP.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate all the info. Thinking about going turbo or procharger next year. Haven't made up my mind yet...class rules are kinda screwy at the moment. Needing all the help I can get.

·
Registered
555 Posts
thanks for the input i think im going to try something a little diff
with my new pistons so i can play around with diff. thicknesses of head gaskets for tunning purposes. i was just a little concerned
about the the proper gasket thickness and quench

1 - 10 of 10 Posts