Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with a 99 Montero Sport. Cranks and most of the time won't start, but tries. Sometimes it will start, but has no power at first, but then it eventually will run OK. Put a timing belt and water pump on it a few months ago, and started having this problem a week ago. Here is what I've done and checked:

Has no codes, shows steady RPM with scanner while cranking, un-bolted exhaust before converter, tried a known good ignition module and cam sensor from a used engine we had, we also put a fuel pump in it a while back.

When it won't start, it acts like the ignition timing is off. It kicks back and pops through the intake. This thing is driving us nuts!

Thanks for any ideas!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
#1 prob with Mitsus is the belt is always put on wrong. I have not seen too many get it right the first time. Or the second time. Your best bet is to double check the timing and balancer belts again. Look for a local DSM guy through the DSm forums in your state and ask them to come by and check it out. All the DSM'ers tend to be good mechanics. :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll pull the upper covers and check. It is just strange that it starts running ok after a while. I think I will try a MAF also, we have a 3000GT in the yard that may have the same one...

Thanks

Darin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts