Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Im a Pro at being Amateur
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking through this thread today and your signature caught my eye.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245930

thought man that looks pretty cool. Till i looked a little closer and seen the was our home track, great lakes dragaway in union grove WI. Then the light went off.....hey thats my picture I took of our home track in wisconsin.

Now i generally dont have much of a hang up with people copying my low res pics for web use like signatures and stuff. Its understandable people like pics of themselves or vehicles and such. Its when someone blatantly steals my photo to make ads, banners, or whatever else to make a profit for themselves or an event they are promoting. This may have been very different if i was offered to be payed for a high res copy or even just asked to use it. But i cant even get the curtosy of that small deed. So, as the owner of the photograph, i am asking you to please remove this AD from your signature on this and every site you may have posted it on.

Your not pissed off, just disappointed YB member
Dom87SS

PS - on top of it all, why would you use a picture of a track in Wisconsin to promote a event in Denver?

Denver True Ten Five Ad....

My original picture....

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
bad form dude, should have asked first...:smt018

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
It's not a NUDE PHOTO of a celebrity or anything you planned or could make a ton of $$$ with, Heck just let him use it for crying out loud

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a NUDE PHOTO of a celebrity or anything you planned or could make a ton of $$$ with, Heck just let him use it for crying out loud

this is exactly why i made this thread.

Let me put it this way....So its ok for me to spend the unpaid time at the track, use my money for gas and entry free to the track, use my paid out of pocket equipment to take the pic, spend my money on the software to do editing, spend the unpaid time editing and uploading the pics, and host them to a site i pay for out of pocket.

But its not ok to want to be compensated for someone using the picture to get a person, place, or event more money via promotional ads?

And BTW i was never looking to make a ton of money on it. If you had read what i posted you would see i said had it been asked upfront to use it, the situation would have been different. If there was no money to be made form having an AD for something, then why do you have the AD and why do companies spend millions a year on advertising?

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
Maybe post your photo's on a pay per view site only so you get paid for them. That's a quick solution, anyway not trying to bust your balls here in anyway.
I know it's kinda late to ask, but what if he sent you a PM asking if it's OK

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
that's one badass pic though!

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
I honestly thought i did have the ok to use this picture before i used it. I appologized to DOM87SS. and removed the picture. I dont know what else i can do at this point.

·
Sho'Nuff
5,366 Posts
Ok here's what I got since I'm involved.

A couple of weeks ago I was going to do a promo graphic for Donald's ORTC race. I know Dominic (DOM87SS) had some phenomenal photos and so I looked through his gallery and made up something for Donald. Before I even showed anyone, I sent Dominic a PM with an unfinished version and asked for his permission if I could use his photos for an ORTC promo and some other events. Dominic responded and said it would be fine but his wish was to have a Photo Credit embedded into the promo poster with his name on it. I have no problems giving credit to anyone who allows me to use something of theirs. I did a lil sig promo for Donald on his Oct ORTC race. I also did the one for Cory. I would have put a photo credit into the Signature line graphic but there wasn't enough room to put it in there without it being legible or making the signature graphic really HUGE.

I wish I would have kept the PM from I sent you Dominic because I think you may have missed when I stated "other events". I take full responsibility and will retract the photo. This was not in any intention to take advantage of anyone. I never asked for one penny to do what I did but I used several hours of my personal time to make something that had the WOW factor for a fellow YB member.

Dominic, if you would, please either PM me or call me so that we can come to an agreement of terms. If you wish to be compensated for your exclusively owned photos, then we can certainly work something out. I'm sure myself, Cory (Mitro67), and anyone else involved can get on the right page will all of this. I do sincerely apologize for any misrepresentation on my part or on Cory's part.

Phillip Patch

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have gone back n forth, in what i consider to be a pretty professional conversation with Cory here. I completely understand the situation at hand and have worked it out with him.

It did not directly involve Cory (mitro67) as he was unaware of how things like were handled. It was more of a mis-communication between myself and Patch. And yes patch did ask me if he could use my photos for a promo ad for a ORTC event and other events. I guess in my mind that meant other ORTC events as it was not specified. Either way i just assumed it was ORTC and we know where assuming gets us. Again, myself and corey talked this over and i understand where he is coming from. I have released this AD for continued use, but like i explained to him. I didnt not know he or joeblow didnt make this ad, and patch did. All i see was an ad with my pic leading to a website promoting an event, and having no recollection of ever talking to these people. I hope corey can see where i am coming from when i stumbled upon this.

Patch - there is no need to retract this, unless you truly want to do so and produce more artwork. Again after talking it over i am willing to let it slide like i would have if i had been informed of the idea ahead of time.

·
Sho'Nuff
5,366 Posts
Thanks Dominic.

I feel though as I may have dropped the ball as I should have gotten with you with this before hand. I appreciate the professional response. These graphics is something I do in my spare time. I originally wanted to do only Donald's ORTC event but then I saw the Colorado guys putting on an event. It seems that the Denver area isn't known for being a 'hotbed' of hardcore heads-up 10.5", 275 radial or any other popular racing classes. I took it upon myself to see if I could help those guys out in attempt for them to have a successful event.

Again, thanks Dom for your understanding and your permission.

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i understand where it all stems from. But as i explained to corey. when i saw that, i was pretty taken back in how it was used and publicly displayed. Again no worries as its been settled, but i had to bring it to everyone's attention as i know this happens all the time with promoters. Its just not a subject that is viewed as a particularly important aspect of racing, but without ads, posters, videos, and whatnot no one would know about all these events we attend each year.

·
Sho'Nuff
5,366 Posts
Yeah, I gotcha. Cory even called me when I was on my way home. He was all twisted up and freaking out. Of course after I got a good overall look at what was going on, I told him that I see where you were coming from and that you had no clue that I was involved and that it may not have been such an issue if you did know that I was involved. I also explained to him that photographers, much like comedians, have to protect what's rightfully theirs because it's really easy for someone to snatch it and then go touting it off as their own.

so if we're all good, then Dom

:)

·
9,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as said, i am fine with it as we came to an agreement. At least i think we did. Again if he wants to use it he can, but also understand if he never wants to use a pic of mine or be associated with my pics in the future. That is really up to him, and am fine with whatever he decides.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Dom I truly am sorry for this and I appreciate your understanding. The last thing I would ever want is for me or anybody affiliated with chaos5280 to be thought of as a thief. Lesson learned as far as this marketing stuff goes. Thank you very much for letting us to continue using this awesome picture (btw I think the picture is so cool it could be for a ice racing race and it would still work, so it will definately work for a race in denver :)).

Also thank you Patch for making this awesome advertisement for chaos5280

and lastly thank you for the 360 veiws this thread has brought to our advertisement... :smt082JK

yours truly,

COREY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts