Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
.56 G7 .375 caliber 400 gr. solid.........wow. Depending on the conversion factor that is a G1 of over 1.00

The large case capacity .375 caliber stuff seems to be the sweet spot in the ultra long range game. I would like to get back into that game- but I have nowhere to shoot that far ! lol....

Good shooting and definitely not just "lucky".....

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
.50 cal's can match that BC- but not at over 3000 fps.

I remember 20+ years ago talking to a pioneer of the 50 cal game (Skip Talbot) and he told me about a case he had designed that was a 50 cal spotter round necked down to .375 caliber. At that time the bullet and powder selection was not NEARLY as good as it is now....

I "think" with the powder and bullets we have today pushing a 400 gr. 375 bullet at over 3300 FPS (and not killing the barrel in 100 rounds) is probably doable. I don't know for sure, I have not kept up on the ultra long range game...too busy trying to kill elk at long range.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's outstanding that a somewhat normal looking rifle can shoot that distance accurately. I'd like to know how Kirby's stuff could do at those ranges.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I think it's outstanding that a somewhat normal looking rifle can shoot that distance accurately. I'd like to know how Kirby's stuff could do at those ranges.
His .375 is right there with that stuff- based on the same case.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
.50 cal's can match that BC- but not at over 3000 fps.

I remember 20+ years ago talking to a pioneer of the 50 cal game (Skip Talbot) and he told me about a case he had designed that was a 50 cal spotter round necked down to .375 caliber. At that time the bullet and powder selection was not NEARLY as good as it is now....

I "think" with the powder and bullets we have today pushing a 400 gr. 375 bullet at over 3300 FPS (and not killing the barrel in 100 rounds) is probably doable. I don't know for sure, I have not kept up on the ultra long range game...too busy trying to kill elk at long range.
My buddy just took ownership of his 28 nosler. He is also in the "kill elk far, far away" category.

I want to be there, but need more time and money. Mostly the latter.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My buddy just took ownership of his 28 nosler. He is also in the "kill elk far, far away" category.

Don't we all, and most of the ones who frequent here have a double whammy against us. Cars and guns. And those with the third whammy, women, have it worse.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts

28 Nosler is very interesting, and the new 195 Berger makes it a VERY potent long range cartridge. It would make an awesome sniper round- but the 7mm and .30 cal Berger bullets don't give me a lot of confidence on elk when the shot placement is not "good." I have killed 2 elk with a .300 Wby using 210 gr. Berger's and penetration was not good. In both instances (274 and 464 yards) the bullets completely disintegrated and penetration was around 10 inches. In both instances I shot the elk high in the back- so they dropped in their tracks. I am pretty sure an elk hit towards the front of the shoulders would run off. I know for sure one broken shoulder does not slow an elk (or deer) down much.

If shot through both lungs / heart, etc, the Berger bullets are terrific. Elk or deer hit like that run 0-20 yards and drop. Critters shot at long range sometimes don't run off at all....

I have been kicking around the idea of a .338 Lapua / Lapua improved for a while. I know of a lot of guys who shoot elk at very long range with the 300 gr. Berger / Sierra and that bullet will go through both shoulders on a bull elk well past 1000 yards.

I normally build all my rifles but came across a deal on one of these chambered in .338 Lapua:

https://christensenarms.com/firearms/bolt-rifles/tfm™

If it will shoot the .5OA that it is guaranteed to I will be happy.

Retained energy is a very important factor for killing large critters at long range and that is where the .338 Lapua with the very high BC 300 grain bullets really shines.

300 Wby / 210 Berger (3000 fps at the muzzle)
Retained Energy:
600: 2145 ft. lbs.
1000: 1292

.338 Lapua / 300 Berger (2750 fps at the muzzle)
Retained energy
600: 2985
1000: 2030

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Buddy has 28 nosler, hit just hit a man size metal plate at 1000 yrds. 2 shots 1 1/2 apart. Luck is a good thing lol. But the round is very capable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would like to have a 28 nosler but hate to get setup for another caliber. It's expensive getting setup for a new cartridge especially when the brass is so expensive like the nosler.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I think he is running 180's at 3250 fps. I don't know if it's a good combo on elk, but that's why he built it. It weighs 10#'s on the dot without rings or glass, fluted brux (sp?) barrel, factory Rem action, blueprinted, and a Mcmillan a-3. We will hopefully find out what it'll kill and how fast. Lol. I doubt we will even get any distance shots in the area we are hunting. Typical is 60-200 yards.

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to have a 28 nosler but hate to get setup for another caliber. It's expensive getting setup for a new cartridge especially when the brass is so expensive like the nosler.
No shit on price of Nosler ammo. 6.5x284 Norma is 57 dollars a box for 20.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts