Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put a float switch in my fuel cell to trigger a light when I get to a certain fill level in my 10 gal. fuel cell. What is the minimum recommended level before heading to make a pass without fear of starving the pickup? I'm thinking three gallons, any thoughts?

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
That depends on the baffling in the tank and/or around the pump, and where the pump is located, or the pick up(s) are located.

Reactions: desoto30

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pickup is in a sump at the rear. It's just a standard 10 gallon aluminum fuel cell. No baffling just foam. I want to run enough to not uncover the pickup but not looking to "fill it up" and carry 65 lbs of fuel around unnecessarily.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I'd think you'd be able to damn near run it out if you're set up right. Only time you'd have to worry would be on decell and what's in carb bowls and lines should have the capacity to keep it running. I'd say 2 gallons to make a 1/4 mile pass and get back to pits would still leave a gallon.

·
T/S 368E
29,075 Posts

I'm there to win rounds, the car will react different, and run a different number if you pull 56 lbs before some rounds, 44 lbs, 32 lbs etc etc.

Every pass should be exactly as the last.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I know I add about a gallon after every pass, might skip one every now or then but usally am aware or just experimenting for comparrison. I don't think I've ever used a 5 gallon jug even going 7 rounds and 2 practice rounds.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree about having the same amount every pass. That is the reason for the float switch connected to an indicator light.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,882 Posts
FILL IT UP...
Did you even read the thread? That's not an answer to the question he asked.

Where should I set the light to come on?

FILL IT UP

Seriously? Dumb or just lazy?

·
T/S 368E
29,075 Posts

I was going to make a joke about a stick & a piece of tape like a buddy uses!!

I'm too lazy for all that, and would probably lose the damn stick.
For a dial in class, I would prefer to just top it off, KISS, and not worry about getting the extra ET.

Good luck & race safe!!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
you would probably be OK with the float set about 2 inches above the top of the fuel fitting going to the fuel pump. During acceleration the fuel pushes toward the rear of the cell.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
First thing is to fill it up completely and go make a pass and come back and refill to see what was used on one pass. Say its 1 gallon, then with that done I'd carry atleast 2 gal minimum in the cell. 3 would be best for the off chance you get called up again and hot lap it. Then with the e.t figured with less fuel weight I would then play around with finding out if adding more to the cell effects e.t and by how much. Then you can fine tune your dial in by adding more to the cell if you need to slow the car down. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Get a stick, empty the tank, then put the fuel back in, one gallon at a time, marking it on the stick as you go. That's the most accurate way. You will have a perfect permanent reference, I've been doing ths for years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Get a stick, empty the tank, then put the fuel back in, one gallon at a time, marking it on the stick as you go. That's the most accurate way. You will have a perfect permanent reference, I've been doing ths for years.
^^^This^^^ with a twist. We have a 8 Gal. cell & we only want 5 Gal. Have a round piece of wood stick marked @ 5 Gal. We add fuel after every pass & keep the stick in the trunk. That's the Bracket Racer in me!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been running a 3.5 gallon aluminum cell for years. It has a sump so I would get every drop. I would use about 3/4 gallon per round. There were many brain farts over the years when I would make it back to the pits on fumes. That being said, if you set your float to no less than 1 gallon, you should be fine. 1.5 gallons if your scared.
I am now converting to a clear 5 gallon cell. You can see the fluid level through the opaque body. I will be adding 1 gallon at a time and placing a pinstripe tape at each level until full. I will then make the lines permanent. This will tell me exactly the fuel level without the ruler method (and nothing wrong with that) and, as you pointed out, the weight fluctuation for dial in.

Thinking out loud....I wonder if there is a type of fluid sensor that could be incorporated to the cell that would trigger a light for low fuel level? Maybe you would use an arming switch so you only check the level when your parked and not sloshing around.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've decided to set the float switch at 3.5 gallons. This will save me roughly 40 lbs over a full cell and should still be enough if I were to forget to add fuel before a round.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts