Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one barely used given to me. I've been playing with it trying to get it to weld some 1/16" and 1/8" aluminum diamond plate but it doesn't seem to penetrate. Is it the welder or something I'm doing?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What shielding gas are you using? What flow rate? Gas is very important to getting things to work right.
100% but I'll have to check on the flow rate. Left it at my dads shop since I don't have 220 in my garage at home.
Guess what I'm wondering is if this welder is able to weld aluminum effectively? I know cheap TIG welders really can't weld aluminum.
I don't plan on using for major chassis work but it would be nice to be able to do small brackets and repair alum. stuff.
If anyone has this model welder or is familiar with it can give me some baseline settings I would greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That model welder was a gamble when they first came out some had problems and few did not. If you are trying to weld aluminum diamond plate,it is going to be a gamble, straight argon,pre heat the metal first, take off any coating,clean with a new scotchbrite pad or wheel,and clean before welding with acetone.
I must have been lucky when I bought mine it has and still is serving me well.30 amp. Min. fuses. going to the outlet where you are plugging it in.It is not like the newer welders that require less amps
to them. If it was gotten for free it might be one of the bad ones.
I have welded 1/8" aluminum with mine without any problems.Hope you lucked out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had a Miller Econo-Tig for 15+ years, done lots of welding with it.
Built my chrome moly cage with it no problem.
Welded lots of .125 aluminum with it, even done some thicker with some pre-heat.
Aluminum on AC and clean, clean , clean.
Prep is key - and lots of practice - aluminum can be tricky.
You can probably get the manual for that machine on the Miller web site.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,349 Posts
......before welding with acetone
QUOTE]

I have been welding MOST of my life with ALL the different kinds of welding techniques, machines and styles.

BUT I have NEVER, EVER welded with ACETONE!!!..........;)....

Just struck me as funny, now back to the regularly scheduled program...................................:cool:

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've had a Miller Econo-Tig for 15+ years, done lots of welding with it.
Built my chrome moly cage with it no problem.
Welded lots of .125 aluminum with it, even done some thicker with some pre-heat.
Aluminum on AC and clean, clean , clean.
Prep is key - and lots of practice - aluminum can be tricky.
You can probably get the manual for that machine on the Miller web site.
X2............

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks...I'll try preheating and really cleaning stuff better. It seems to work well with CM and MS and haven't tried stainless yet. Still getting the hang of using both hands and my foot to weld...man its so slow compared to mig welding. Looks awesome though.
Thanks forthe help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts