Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran all summer and fall without noticing any issues. Last oil change was fine. maybe 1500 miles since then. Started it to move it, went around the block to bring to operating temp.. never stopped smoking, low coolant light came on. 5 min of idling left a small puddle by the rear tire.

Which is more likely.. head gasket? pinhole in an intake port? cracked block?

Did not leak outside the block. Pulling the head this week. 99z28 with cometic head gaskets.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That happened to me with my old 468 bbc jet boat. Initially found two blown head gaskets. Repaired those. Boat ran better than ever. Checked oil after hour of use, still had milky oil. Had crack in block. Sorry for sh8ty reply, just my real world results that happen to me. Hope yours is a better end.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Gonna be hard to guess, could be cracked head, cracked block, blown head gasket... etc etc

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess I'll pull the passenger head, check the gasket, get the head pressure tested, and look for cracks. Funny this happened when it got cold and not beating on it after being fine through a hard driven spring, summer, and fall.. I've heard the cometics sometimes leak after some drive time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't take long.. as soon as I pulled the intake I saw #4 runner half full with coolant. Some residual coolant in other ports but there was coolant in the intake too, so no doubt it all came from #4. Oh well.. pull both heads, clean them, fix #4, pressure test them.. guess I got a bit too aggressive with the port work or there was major core shift. Maybe I'll weld the chambers up and make them how I want to..14 to 1 on e85 sounds good..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this bad?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a 241. I ported it. It lasted all of last season with no issues. I went to move it this winter, and this happened. Wasn't real happy with the noises it made on startup, got out to look, it cleaned up and sounded normal but smoked and spit a lot of coolant. Pulled the intake and found #4 full. Started to shop vac it out and got a pic of it doing this.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did hear what sounded like a rod knock when it started. Cleared up though. We'll see when I take the head off what kind of damage was done if any. If something got hurt I guess I'll be looking for a new stock rod and some forged piston so I can hit it with a 200!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts