Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going next week to take my ASVAB just wondering what advice some of you guys who served can offer on what to do or try to do

not sure what im gonna do. my buddys thats been in since HS told me to take it see what i can do and then see who can offer the best deal more or less.

thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
SBCS10,
I am retired AF. I worked in vehicle maint. and aircraft maint.
I was a dedicated Crew Chief on the A10. The best time i had, was
my time as a CC. To me the flight line is where it is at. Any other
job in the AF is just support. You dont want to be a be-be stacker(weapons), or a spark chaser(electrics), or comm nav. Crew dog
is the only way to go.
If you score high enough, tell your recruter you want to be a CC
the F22 Rapture, or the B1B, or the B2.
Good luck.
NC State

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
SBCS10,
job in the AF is just support. You dont want to be a be-be stacker(weapons), or a spark chaser(electrics), or comm nav. Crew dog
is the only way to go.
Good luck.
NC State
Love that A-10, I was a supervisor on the wing section in the 70's at Fairchild in Huntington Long Island.One bad ground support aircraft.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its ugly, but its got it where it counts, In the nose. 30 mm gun.
The only thing bad about the A10, its the only A/C in the AF inventory
that can take a bird strike from the rear, cause it flies so slow.
NC State

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
SBCS10,
is the only way to go.
Good luck.
NC State
Whatever you do, don't do lavatory services, and listen to NC state. I did like being vehicle maintenance, except for changing tires and working on lavatory service trucks, it isn't that bad.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Join the Air Force. The best job in the military is a load master on a C5.

I'd say Load Master on a Rescue C-130 or Gunner on HH-60G Pavehawk!

I'm retired AF also, was the Reserve Section Flight Chief for the Engine Shop when I retired in a Combat Rescue unit.

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
Its ugly, but its got it where it counts, In the nose. 30 mm gun.
The only thing bad about the A10, its the only A/C in the AF inventory
that can take a bird strike from the rear, cause it flies so slow.
NC State
Still, on the ground, you WANT to see that bitch coming in for support.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? All the services offer the same benefits and pay the same with regards to rank vs salary. Don't let a recruiter tell you you can make more money in a specific service. However there is incentive pay for specific jobs so the job that you end up with could affect that. Fliers get flight pay, EOD personnel get hazard pay, etc...

How you score on the ASVAB dictates what you qualify for...along with your education and moral checks. Oh yea, and any drug use. Smoking pot now and again isn't as bad as doing coke, LSD or meth. Felony crimes are usually disqualifiers. Especially now. All the services have been getting pretty picky lately.

Most obligations are for at least 4 years, however some of the services will let you get just 2. But, the complete obligation regardless is usually 8 years. 2-5 on active duty and the rest in the IRR (individual ready reserve). There's also the regular reserve. That whole one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. Just as heads up...there are alot of activated reserves in the middle east right now. My nephew is one of them.

Take the test (its free) and see how you do. Ask specifically for your "line scores". These are the scores that tell you what you qualify to do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Join the Air Force. The best job in the military is a load master on a C17.

There I fixed it. I was on C-17's for 10 years, although I wasn't a load master, I was a flying crew chief and did get to fly alot.

·
Registered
388 Posts
USAF. I also was a crew chief. F-16s @ Luke, F-117s @ Nellis area 52 & F-16s again @ Homestead. Excellent job do especially well on your mechanical part of your ASVAB. Tell them what your wishes are.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You have to deside what you want out of the military, it is what you make of it. The Air Force has the best "quality of life" standards out of any branch, but that isnt important to everyone. Every branch has its ups and downs and your attitude and work ethic will dictate how well you do in any branch. The military can be easiest job you every have and you love it or if you get in trouble or have a really bad attitude it could be along 4 years.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
You have to deside what you want out of the military, it is what you make of it. The Air Force has the best "quality of life" standards out of any branch, but that isnt important to everyone. Every branch has its ups and downs and your attitude and work ethic will dictate how well you do in any branch. The military can be easiest job you every have and you love it or if you get in trouble or have a really bad attitude it could be along 4 years.
Great advice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spent 7 years in the Air Force the only way to go. Look for a job that translates to the civilian word. The A/F will treat you better than any other branch, worked c-130s in japan. We would fly the army guys around and after we put our planes to bed we went to full service hotels and the army guys would pitch tents next to the taxi way and have to do guard duty for our planes while I was getting drunk in the hotel bar.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts