Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Past 69 Chevelle, actively looking for a new ride!
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a car with this chassis, was looking for CM but after some research I believe MS will be fine for a fast bracket car/grudge car. It is a single rail car, big tire, 7.5 cert. Currently being raced with almost 2k hp. Just looking for experience what a chassis like this will hold up to? Any help appreciated. Cj

·
Registered
255 Posts
A mild steel chassis is worth less than a 4130 chassis at sale time.
A mild steel chassis is at least 100 lbs heavier than a like built 4130 chassis.
A mild steel chassis cannot be certified for anything quicker than 7.50.
It may be being raced with 2000 hp. now, but what is that doing or has done to the mild steel chassis?
Is this chassis straight and since it is single rail, is the left chassis rail slightly higher in the front than the right rail?
Check carefully....
Choose wisely....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mild steel chassis is worth less than a 4130 chassis at sale time.
A mild steel chassis is at least 100 lbs heavier than a like built 4130 chassis.
A mild steel chassis cannot be certified for anything quicker than 7.50.
It may be being raced with 2000 hp. now, but what is that doing or has done to the mild steel chassis?
Is this chassis straight and since it is single rail, is the left chassis rail slightly higher in the front than the right rail?
Check carefully....
Choose wisely....
Yes, that is why I am asking here. We checked it over very well, it is straight with no weird bends. It leaves hard and level from the videos and I will see it run next weekend. It has all good parts shocks, fab 9 with 9.5" center section, beadlock rims, all electronics, grid ect. For the asking price I could not buy the rear-end package! It is hard to find anything nice for 20k right now! Just wanted some informed opinions. Would love a full CM frame but found nothing that has not been wrecked and pieced backtogether. This car has not been wrecked either. Cj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the end of the day it’s more about the weight
That makes sense, this car is 2600 with driver ready to run. Just didn't know if there is any long term issues with MS. I really appreciate the info! Cj

·
I kill parts
10,820 Posts
No more long term issues from MS than CM assuming both built properly, if anything the CM is more prone to fatigue issues over time.

Typically 50-100# total difference in a full chassis build. - There's a clean 3rd gen Firebird advertised on marketplace right now that's double-rail MS(odd, but whatever) current 4.50/7.50 cert, steel roof/rear quarters, with an iron block 632, glide, and 250# driver, weighs 2450.

If you don't foresee the need for a faster cert, there are no particular pitfalls. NHRA/IHRA are the only sanctioning bodies that require CM for faster classes, all other forms of racing are actually opposite and require MS for faster speeds; its noted as lower failure rate in a multiple-impact crash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No more long term issues from MS than CM assuming both built properly, if anything the CM is more prone to fatigue issues over time.

Typically 50-100# total difference in a full chassis build. - There's a clean 3rd gen Firebird advertised on marketplace right now that's double-rail MS(odd, but whatever) current 4.50/7.50 cert, steel roof/rear quarters, with an iron block 632, glide, and 250# driver, weighs 2450.

If you don't foresee the need for a faster cert, there are no particular pitfalls. NHRA/IHRA are the only sanctioning bodies that require CM for faster classes, all other forms of racing are actually opposite and require MS for faster speeds; its noted as lower failure rate in a multiple-impact crash.
Thank you, this is what I have been finding out also. I am not a huge fan of roundy round stuff but I used to build engines for them and if a car got tweeked they would take it to a frame shop, straighten it and go back to racing with no problems. Not so with CM from what I have read. It is a cut apart and redo at best. Thank you for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts