Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind this hasn't been discussed with anyone! Ie. the owners/operators of US131msp or any racers. I just want to gather what kind of interest there would be for this and your opinions.

Who would attend and how good of an idea would it be to bring this series to US131msp. The idea wouldn't be to take away the series from milan or compete per say. More like a collaboration to make this type of series bigger in Michigan.

Example, same rules and everything but scheduled on like the third Friday of the month. Probably would require different sponsors and such.

The track surface and facility is awesome and I think there is some potential for this to happen. I would love to be able to get the ball rolling to see if this is possible. I know plenty of local Grand Rapids racers that want this and also some potential sponsors for it.

-Derik
Visner Engine Development, LLC
Lowell, MI

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I believe it was tried before and didn't work out. I think a few didn't get paid that showed up. Something about not enough cars to cover the purse. Or something like that but I'm sure someone will chime in and say what really happened.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Maxamus is correct

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ran at the one they put on several years back and car count was very light and most of those were from the other side of the state. The west Mich area is a whole different world from the east side. All anybody around here wants to do is bracket race and most of the racers that say they would run it would show up without their car and claim they just want to see if it's worth bringing their car out the next time.:confused:

Seeing as Martin is my home track just 20 miles from my house I would absolutely love to see it happen but I'm afraid it would be an uphill battle with trying to get the ball rolling. A Friday race means a lot of people missing a day of work to get there on time because you couldn't count on the local crowd to fill the slots.

If you can somehow make it happen I would absolutely volunteer to be a first round duck just to help out.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would be nice to have another place to race heads up, but car count and payout would be important. You would need to be able to put people in the stands to make the track happy. Also the track would need to advertise. If you don't get local cars to help with car count it won't work. If they are all bracket racers they won't show up, and complain possibly about losing a TNT. It didn't work at Norwalk and at 131 the last time. I doubt you will get partisipation without the track to promote. If they have one I would show up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would like to see that and maybe they could get with milan and have a 2 track point series or something like that but they would have to promote it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I was at every race when martin had it. The first couple races were full but then as the year got goin it got smaller. You cant expect somthin to take right off the first year, and you have to actually promote it to get stuff rollin. Just my thought

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
If I am remebering correct one of the big problems was they said garented purse and didn't pay at the first race and blamed it on car count is what killed it. You can't garrenty a pay out and don't do it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It would be great but the last time I went up there for there heads up race the gates were locked and the people at the gate told me the race was not going to happen (due to low car counts) after I drove 2 hours up there !

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It would be great but the last time I went up there for there heads up race the gates were locked and the people at the gate told me the race was not going to happen (due to low car counts) after I drove 2 hours up there !
Ding Ding Ding!!!

Same thing happened to me. They had rain in the morning at one race. Left home around 10:00 am all loaded up. Thought I would stop and get lunch in Kalamazoo (Cheeseburger in Paradise)and then get there a little early to check everything out. Gates were locked and race was cancelled.

Always thought that was a real nice track.

·
Empress
1,928 Posts
We would be interested.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
I would like to see that and maybe they could get with milan and have a 2 track point series or something like that but they would have to promote it.

I was actually thinking of trying to expand the Saturday Shootout to hit Milan, 131 and Mid Michigan.

Could be cool to make it a traveling 3 track series. 6-9 races total.

Thats alot of traveling though and I don't know how many poeple would be willing to make the trip to Mid Michigan.

131 is a nice easy tow ( all highway ) . Great track. I would love to see some kind of calaboration again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was actually thinking of trying to expand the Saturday Shootout to hit Milan, 131 and Mid Michigan.

Thats alot of traveling though and I don't know how many poeple would be willing to make the trip to Mid Michigan.

131 is a nice easy tow ( all highway ) . Great track. I would love to see some kind of calaboration again.
I would definately make the trip for martin if you were to try something like that. im sure other racers that have been doing the sat shootout would feel the same.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
not gonna happen can't bring your own coolers in the track = alot smaller crowd...lol

a in-state race series...that would be sweet. been to all three track enjoy them all....i'd drive....drove alot further for alot less...

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only way its going to happen and last would be to get at least a 5 year commitment from sponsors, not an easy task. I dont think Milan had the turnout the first few years that it has now, so its needs time to grow. Martin is a very nice track and I would like to see an event that mirrored Milan's at this facility. It would be cool to see a Michigan circuit, but for the most part, we are amateurs and personally could not afford to race three weekends a month, so one track would probablt suffer with low car count/attendance. Derek, dont you have some heads to port. J/K. Troy

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
For what it's worth. Follow Milans program, expand the open comp class to a 64 car qualified field to help cover the track costs, Get's the bracket racers on board it's a win win for the track the local racers. I know a lot of the heads up guys don't like the open comp cars but it will help promote the race . I would tow out for the race and try and compete with the o/c guys. Let the complaints begin. Fri or Sat different week tha.n Milan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts