Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
We tryed a set on Michael Martins car over the weekend and they seemed to work great for the track that we were on. I started at 7 went down to 6 with no tubes .

·
Registered
505 Posts
Whats the rollout on this tire? The reason I ask is I'm curious if this tire would work well on a less than decent track (which is what we usually run on) as compared to a Hoosier 33.5 tire.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Whats the rollout on this tire? The reason I ask is I'm curious if this tire would work well on a less than decent track (which is what we usually run on) as compared to a Hoosier 33.5 tire.
I think the tire is best for tight tracks, everyone set up/power is different.
I wouldn't run it without tubes.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
First race on the track after new concrete to -50' to 300', air temp, 59º, track temp 72º, DA 300', water grains, so very little rubber on the track, decent prep, ideal weather for making big power, so not a good recipe for 6 second cars.

On Sunday it was starting to come around and was better track temp & more rubber but we blew the tires off again as soon as the 2nd kit came on at .5. One car ran a .988 60' so it had to of been halfway decent. This weekend we will be at a different track and it should be pretty well prepped so will give it another shot. We're bringing the 34.5's along just in case...I really don't want to give up on it yet as many others are having good luck with the new MT's.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
One mystery is solved. As I reported, the first weekend out on the new MT 3 runs in a row smoking the tires at the hit so I made a 4 link change before a race in Boise, ID this weekend & programmed a bunch of launch retard in. I happen to change the battery in the digital tire gauge when we got there & was servicing the car for a test hit & knew the tires probably needed some air after sitting for a couple weeks so checked one side and it was 8.6 lbs which seemed odd, so checked the other side... 8.6 lbs...WTF??? So I immediately knew what the problem was the previous race. I dropped them to 6¾ lbs made a hit and they hooked like glue. Took all the retard back out, made another hit and wheelspeed was spot on at .25 but got out of control at about .75 with too much power. Looking at the RacePak, the left rear sensor show something wierd, so my crew guy with eagle eyes got a mirror around the left front 4 link bracket and found several cracks in that area, so we were done for the weekend...going into the chassis shop this week for new brackets & more reinforcement in that area. But...the good news is the tire seems to work very well. I'm anxious to get back out and get it dialed in.

Keep fresh batteries in your tire gauges (if you have digital one's :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
674 Posts
8.6#'s after a couple weeks?!?! had to be atleast 10-11 when you ran it last. If whoever sets the tires can't tell the difference from 11 to 6.75#'s by sight, you need some new help! holy crap! that's one of those stories that shouldn't be shared.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
I think you misunderstood...a low battery in the tire gauge was causing it to read low by 2½ lbs. I've used the same gauge for three years and calibrated it against quite a few others and it's always been dead on. Nobody's fault, just one of those things that can drive you crazy sometimes and makes you scratch your head. These are required to have tubes so they hadn't lost much air if any. They are hooking as advertised now!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That is the EXACT reason we ended up buying two gauges. EVERY morning we check them against each other and twice now it has saved our butt. Sucks to have something so simple ruin a weekend.

·
Registered
225 Posts
8.6#'s after a couple weeks?!?! had to be atleast 10-11 when you ran it last. If whoever sets the tires can't tell the difference from 11 to 6.75#'s by sight, you need some new help! holy crap! that's one of those stories that shouldn't be shared.
We have ALL had issues with tire gauges at some point. If you race (?) you will too sooner or later.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Carol,
"if you race"- that's pretty good!
The photo in the my posts is me.
unlike 90% of the posers, oops, posters on the bullet.

44 YO, been at it 28yrs. guarantee I have have more passes and round wins than most on here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts