Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michigan is ranked #1 in the nation for unemployment.

Michigan is ranked #1 in the nation for having the worst economy.

What businesses do you folks see doing well in this state and why. I would assume a lot of the bigger companies may be relying on out of state or out of country revenue if they are doing well in michigan

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Medical Industry is Booming here!!
Pick your area from billing, in home care , Lab Tech, RN, Doctors or whatever has to do with Medical!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I cannot speak for others in the area, but we are doing very well in the book manufacturing industry right now. Looking to have one of our best years in sales ever. Materials are experencing large increases, and to stay competitive we cannot always pass them on, but we are hanging right in there

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
Auto parts business is doing good thank god... Paying the bills...

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
When did yall pass us? lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was a Wall Street Journal report printed about 5 weeks ago and the result were from May 2008. I thnk you guys were #3 if I remember correctly. I'll see if I cant dig up the article...................not that it matters...........nothing like jockying for last place now is there.

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
We give a good effort... lol

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's funny our business (auto repair) isn't booming by any means but it is on the upswing over the last couple years. I just wish the mainstream media would get off the gloom and doom stories. Almost all of the small to mid sized business owners I have talked to around here have been seeing the about the same thing (better on average). If its as bad as they make us out to think it is how come most everyone I talk to has seen improvment over the last couple years? Don't get me wrong volume wise our business is down compared to say 2002 but the current trend looks promising. We need the media to quit scaring the crap out of people so they will get out and spend some money. That way eventually it will trickle back down to those businesses/people who have seen their business go in the shitter.

Craig

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's funny our business (auto repair) isn't booming by any means but it is on the upswing over the last couple years. I just wish the mainstream media would get off the gloom and doom stories. Almost all of the small to mid sized business owners I have talked to around here have been seeing the about the same thing (better on average). If its as bad as they make us out to think it is how come most everyone I talk to has seen improvment over the last couple years? Don't get me wrong volume wise our business is down compared to say 2002 but the current trend looks promising. We need the media to quit scaring the crap out of people so they will get out and spend some money. That way eventually it will trickle back down to those businesses/people who have seen their business go in the shitter.

Craig
That would make sense........Auto Parts and Auto repair would be on the upswing. With NEW Auto sales down almost 20%, people are sticking money into their used autos to keep them tuned up and running better. Even in a bad economy, some businesses will thrive...............or should I say sustain

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
Sustain... Perfect word...

We are hoping for the best... Just like everyone else...

·
Registered
986 Posts
That would make sense........Auto Parts and Auto repair would be on the upswing. With NEW Auto sales down almost 20%, people are sticking money into their used autos to keep them tuned up and running better. Even in a bad economy, some businesses will thrive...............or should I say sustain
Its hard to say we have seen an increase for sure of people putting things off they shouldn't it always bites them in the ass later. Funny though our other store sees alot of professionals from the downtown Lansing area they are still the first to trade the car in if they repair bill gets too high. Our side of town has a more working class clientel that doesn't matter how much it cost to fix cause they arent going to buy a new car. Our customers spending threshold seems to be about $1000-$1500 much past that and they balk. Our other store its much lower $400-$500 and they start trading the cars off. Works out well for the manager of the other store he has bought lots of nice cars cheep that just need some repairs.

Craig

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Overall we are down. Our first year was better then the next 2 yrs. The economy sux right now. It also depends on what areas in michigan are getting hurt by the big 3. We are located in one of those areas.

Autorepair will come back once the shake ups stop or it bottoms.

Long terms things look better. Just slow

As for industries doing well in Michigan. I here alot about automation products and other manufacturing technologys companies doing well.

Craig

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well the repo buniness is up 100%,The collection compaines are moving in due to all the repos and foreclosed homes and the scum bag mortage compaines are moving out to destroy another state.

Thanks Matt

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
You guys DO realize that they count Unemployment figures by those who are eligible.

Fuck, NY has been in the dumps so long that even unemployment offices are laying off. You now email or phone. No more standing in lines.

Next step is welfare. Wanna compare numbers? The 11 people left working in NY are carrying the rest of this piece of shit state.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts