Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Probably not, they just last so long that they start dry rotting before they wear out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Typical!

Last set of Michelin tires I bought for my truck did the same thing. I didn't have very many miles on them, the tread was in great shape but they showed signs of dry rot. Bought a set for the car and they are still OK (go figure!)

I just bought tires for my dually and at the time was thinking about Michelin. The guy at Discount Tire explained Michelin recently "re-designed" their light truck tires... I went with Yokohama's instead, so far so good!

I was shopping for tires for my truck and was thinking Michelin tires and then I found the following. I took a walk in our work parking lot and found several Michelin tires with dry rotting. WTF, are they being made in China now.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/michelin.html

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I just bought tires for my dually and at the time was thinking about Michelin. The guy at Discount Tire explained Michelin recently "re-designed" their light truck tires... I went with Yokohama's instead, so far so good!
Big step backwards on your part going with Yokohama

I would rather have a set of Michelins with 20,000 miles on them then new Yokahama.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did you have bad luck with Yokohama's? I think I only had about 20,000 on the Michelin tires, maybe less....Who knows, maybe they had a bad run of them.

Big step backwards on your part going with Yokohama

I would rather have a set of Michelins with 20,000 miles on them then new Yokahama.

·
كافر
9,930 Posts
yokohamas are great. had them on a jeep, no signs of excessive wear, and they were drove hard.

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Cooper Tires.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
Seen lots of Michelins with rot but not a problem, I wouldn't own anything else, in have XPS rib on my truck and trailer. Bad ass meats!

·
25,442 Posts
Did you have bad luck with Yokohama's? I think I only had about 20,000 on the Michelin tires, maybe less....Who knows, maybe they had a bad run of them.
It had to be.........I have run Michelin tires for about 15 years and they're the best tire on the market.........bar none..........from the links posted it appears they had a bad run of tires.

My wifes car came with Yokahamas from the factory...........very scary driving in the rain and snow.....and they were bald at 25,000 miles...........on a 2700 lb four banger econo box........they were very loud also.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
No, Cooper is its own company. Goodyear owns Kelly-Springfield though.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It had to be.........I have run Michelin tires for about 15 years and they're the best tire on the market.........bar none..........from the links posted it appears they had a bad run of tires.

My wifes car came with Yokahamas from the factory...........very scary driving in the rain and snow.....and they were bald at 25,000 miles...........on a 2700 lb four banger econo box........they were very loud also.

You do realize that tires supplied to OEM are inferior to what the replacements tires are. My Titan came with Goodyear Wrangler SRAs. Worst truck tire I've ever had. That doesn't mean that all Goodyears suck. I replaced them with Nitto TerraGrapplers. Far superior tire.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought Michelin's for my old single rear wheel one ton and had good luck with them, my dad bought some for his 3/4 ton and they are holding up great...that last set dry rotting just left a bad taste in my mouth, it sucked to see the dry rot with so much tread left!

I'm hoping these Yokohama's hold up, but too early to tell. I don't think I've even put 1000 miles on them yet but they ride nice.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
I've always thought Michelin was overpriced and overrated. But, wear and service life have so many varibles involved. Like your grandpa's underwear, it depends.

·
25,442 Posts
You do realize that tires supplied to OEM are inferior to what the replacements tires are. My Titan came with Goodyear Wrangler SRAs. Worst truck tire I've ever had. That doesn't mean that all Goodyears suck. I replaced them with Nitto TerraGrapplers. Far superior tire.
All the tires you mentioned are inferior to Michelin.............I've driven over a million miles in the last 15 years and Michelin was the only tire I could get to last at least 50,000 miles on my trailer towing one ton vans or duallies.I only buy Michelin and would settle for a BFG tire if I had too........they're made by Michelin anyway.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I bought Bridgestones for my truck last time. I insisted on USA made, even though the tire store was pushing Chinese made cheapo's on me.

I've been very satisfied. I've got almost 60,000 miles on 'em now, and they probably have another 20,000 left in 'em. Very quiet on the highway, which is what I wanted.

These have weather checking on them too. I'd reckon they are 4 1/2 years old.

I had heard that the good ol' EPA has mandated the use of more enviro friendly compounds in the manufacture.

Could this make US made tires a little more susceptible to cracking?

I still ain't buying Chinese tires!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Might be something to that (EPA mandating use of more environmentally friendly chemicals)...

LOL if this is the case though. They use a chemical that is "better" for the environment and wind up having to make more tires because they wear out sooner...in reality which is worse, having to make more tires or the old chemicals? Better business for the tire companies too...OK, enough of my conspiracy theory bs!

I bought Bridgestones for my truck last time. I insisted on USA made, even though the tire store was pushing Chinese made cheapo's on me.

I've been very satisfied. I've got almost 60,000 miles on 'em now, and they probably have another 20,000 left in 'em. Very quiet on the highway, which is what I wanted.

These have weather checking on them too. I'd reckon they are 4 1/2 years old.

I had heard that the good ol' EPA has mandated the use of more enviro friendly compounds in the manufacture.

Could this make US made tires a little more susceptible to cracking?

I still ain't buying Chinese tires!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts