Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the fuckity fuck ???
You guys that do home installations of Carpet, window blinds, plumbers, HVAC people all probably deal with this shit. Homeowners watching you every minute. That must really suck to deal with every day.
Me? I'm a Carpenter and most of the time, I'm doing NEW construction. In the past. I've helped out some people with their projects at home. This one old guy, nice dude....Wanted to build a carport. I've always liked the guy and respected him. He built one section of this carport in 1985 when he was still reasonably young and vital. The extension was a bit more complicated and with him being much older, he had to pay to have it built. This guy sits out on the slab and watched every move. He offered advice for the most basic of tasks. I couldn't fart without the guy getting a strong whiff of it. I am not used to having people stare at me when I work. I try to tune him out but Christ....I am trying to figure out how to build this thing and he is there to see every cut, every nail, every mistake and every correct move.
Out of respect for him and his advancing age, I'm dealing with it BUT there is no way that I could stand to do this shit full time.
I've repaired people's cars and had them sit in a chair nearby....Me getting frustrated with hard to reach bolts, greasy parts....I'm getting all pissed off but have to hold it in because THEY are right there.
What a fucking pisser.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah well we just dropped 6 grand on carpet and tried to be as hands off as possible, and at the very end, trying to look the job over, they completely dicked the install and ran out of there as fast as possible, so now we gotta deal with getting them to make it right. So it goes both ways.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
On the other hand I just let guys work and I've realized over the last few months that most of my Milwaukee tools are missing...

·
Registered
12,419 Posts
this is why I retired from doing customer work years ago. I just buy a house, restore it and sell it now. Work with my dog all day, do what I want and am happy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have done a lot of stair and railing renovations for homeowners and I know of what you speak. I've had people pull up chairs and think I was putting on a demonstration which they were going to watch. I have used the technique of stop working and just talk to them, but at some time you have to call quits on that. A loud radio also works. I have also finally spoken to people telling them I can't work like this and I had to be left alone. It will piss them off but usually, they leave. The amazing part is they always disappear at lunch time.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
You think it’s bad with one person watching you?........ Try working I a jail!

Back in 1984 I had a job installing lighting fixtures in a local Jail and these fuckers would watch you all day and everyone of these 20-25 fuckers were experts. We were separated 20’ away from the "clients" and had two guards watching over us taking inventory of tools and supplies. The funniest thing was after lunch these guys would start arguing with each other on how much they knew.

TIP! Buy some cheap plastic tarps at Horror Freight and hang them up for "Dust Control" and Safety.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You all should be so lucky that some day the highlight of your day is to watch some younger guy do what you used to be able to do.... Um, construction wise anyways. All kidding aside as long as they are not being some sort of jerk just let it go.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Some of the jobs I do there are a small group of heavily armed men watching me the whole time. Not much I can do about it.

-Abone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of my biggest pet peeves. I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone thinks it's appropriate to glare at someone non-stop who is doing their job to put food on the table, or constantly interrupt their train of thought. I learned a while back, if they are retired, I charge more because I know they won't have enough respect to let me work without being their entertainment. I charge dog owners more as well, if I notice when giving an estimate there is days old dog shit every where.

Another annoyance is the ones who need to "remind" you of what you need to do. Just finished one where I got 6:30 AM texts "reminding" me of what needed done daily. How the hell did I ever keep this business going for 35 years without this guy holding my hand?!

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
Landscaped a doctor's yard one summer. Most of our customers stayed the fuck out of the way, but this prick and his gash of a wife were like fucking puppeteers hovering over us for 2 days, making stupid suggestions and micro-managing shit. If we'd have known what we were in for, we'd have doubled the bid. Or worked in the middle of the night.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
Out of my thirty -some years.. I got into a habit of wearing a headset / phones for about 29 of them..

One, it's professional, i am not THAT contractor that blares his radio on his site / in the customer's world..

Two, it was / is always my goal to make everything that I do to appear to have never be done - ( other than the obvious improvement, but, it must fit in to the existing - leave zero appearance of being added - and there can be no mess / stress / evidence / including noise to the normal life of the client)...

Third, I wear a headset , no matter what.. One day, doing a job for a though client, my good family friend and heating contractor slid up and meekly asked me a question - and mentioned that the homeowner was driving him nuts with the stupid questions... I let him in on the trick - and explained to him that the batteries in my headset ( that I was wearing)had been dead for a week, but no one tried to talk to me while I still wore it.... Next time we worked together, he had a really nice set of headphones...

Fourth, yellow tape is your friend - make a perimeter, and blame it on insurance...

Fifth, fab and prefab as many elements of the project that you can offsite... just leave intelligently placed scribe / adjustable joints / to be verified and completed on site..

Sixth, I always secheduled my work to be done when the homeowners were going on vacation / not home ... They loved it..

·
Registered
17,970 Posts
What the fuckity fuck ???
You guys that do home installations of Carpet, window blinds, plumbers, HVAC people all probably deal with this shit. Homeowners watching you every minute. That must really suck to deal with every day.
Me? I'm a Carpenter and most of the time, I'm doing NEW construction. In the past. I've helped out some people with their projects at home. This one old guy, nice dude....Wanted to build a carport. I've always liked the guy and respected him. He built one section of this carport in 1985 when he was still reasonably young and vital. The extension was a bit more complicated and with him being much older, he had to pay to have it built. This guy sits out on the slab and watched every move. He offered advice for the most basic of tasks. I couldn't fart without the guy getting a strong whiff of it. I am not used to having people stare at me when I work. I try to tune him out but Christ....I am trying to figure out how to build this thing and he is there to see every cut, every nail, every mistake and every correct move.
Out of respect for him and his advancing age, I'm dealing with it BUT there is no way that I could stand to do this shit full time.
I've repaired people's cars and had them sit in a chair nearby....Me getting frustrated with hard to reach bolts, greasy parts....I'm getting all pissed off but have to hold it in because THEY are right there.
What a fucking pisser.
He is old and hasn't any friends, he means nothing by it.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is what kept me from blowing up.
I've had a short temper all of my life. I somehow can handle big problems but the petty ones kick me in the ass. Stuff like traffic idiots, hypocrites and self-important jerks really get to me. This guy is a nice guy that probably doesn't have much to do each day.
My Father in Law is the EXACT same way. He stands 4-5 feet away and watches, watches.....

1 - 20 of 67 Posts