Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
One time the water on Lake Wylie was way down and there is a sand bar everyone hangs out at during the summer that was exposed. A friend of mine told me that they knew someone that went out and found almost $10,000.00 worth of jewelry in 3 days.

I'm on it next time the water drops!!!!!
Swimming holes are good too and especially ones with a rope from a tree where they swing over the water.

Another one of the posted areas here now but years ago a guy did the same on one on the Etowah river and found thousands worth of jewelry and coins where people had lost it swinging into the river.

·
Registered
773 Posts
bought my father one 2 weeks ago for his birthday he had one when i was younger and he watches diggers almost every day so what better a gift for his birthday than that. he was like a kid on christmas ill keep everyone updated on what he finds :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought my 10 year old a Garrett ace 250 for $260. We enjoy it. It will pick up something as small as a tear drop. Have not found anything real valuable but it is fun.
My son did find his grandfathers wedding ring that he lost in the late 70s, it was about six inches deep.

·
Registered
15,044 Posts
there was a thread started here about 2 or 3 years ago about a guy who found a car buried in his back yard. cant remember if he used a metal detector or not:)

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
What's the legalities of keeping what you find if you find it on State or Federal land?

Like in a State Park or a National Forest.

Say you find a cannon ball in a National Park like the "Shiloh National Military Park"??

pdq67

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
5,856 Posts
My son searches the beach with my old Garret. Sometimes he finds broke necklaces and rings. I have not used it in a while. I mostly search the river bottom by hand for shark teeth in the summer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got a Garret for Christmas and I can't wait to get out with it.
I'm not exactly sure but I believe that detecting in National parks and such is not allowed. Always best to ask first unless you think you can get away with it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
A friend just found 2 gold wedding bands the other day. He finds a lot of coins and the like. I borrowed one and found a lot of buried crap in my back yard, nothing valuable yet though.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
What's the legalities of keeping what you find if you find it on State or Federal land?

Like in a State Park or a National Forest.

Say you find a cannon ball in a National Park like the "Shiloh National Military Park"??

pdq67
State properties off limits here in Ga and depending on the officer a free ride to jail if he wants to ruin your day.

Against the law on the beaches here in Ga and Fla that I know of although I'm not sure how enforced that is as I have detected some without issue.

County properties is a mixed bag but last year I asked one of the guys over the properties in the next county and he said they really did not have an ordinance regarding it. Keep in mind though trespassing laws and the particular area but I was mainly asking him about Park and Rec properties.

I'm not sure on Federal land but I know on national Forest for prospecting we are limited to a hand pan and small shovel and then it can be touch and go even at that.

Always best to do your research first to avoid any hassles.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I've also since this thread was started picked up a Whites MXT along with a pin pointer but have only had it out a couple times but so far really like it. The MXT has several different programs but on the screen it shows you what it thinks the item is and the percentage of probability. I have to get used to it though as there is a learning curve but just haven't had the spare time.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a Garrett 250, works good enough for me. I've got an old grist mill in my backyard that is gone now, I can spend hours digging up metal gears,plow shears ,door hinges and all kinds of machinery parts, nothing valuable yet. I do take it to the coast and search for rings and lead sinkers?? Oh, dont hunt when the ground is dry and hard. Wet season is best, except for the beach.... Oh,, also remove the batteries when your not using it for a while.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Been metal detecting for 20 years found everything but gold coins. I only know one guy he's been doing it for over 30 years and he found a 5 dollar gold piece. I mostly prospect for coins and relics, I stay away from the beaches. I use a whites dfx.

·
A Senior Member
2,925 Posts
21 - 40 of 56 Posts