Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was channel surfing last night and came across a show called Diggers. It was pretty interesting to watch. One show was filmed in Gettysburg Pa and the next was at Tombstone Az. The stars were a little goofy acting but I'm sure that was for the show. They found a good many artifacts but nothing really expensive.

Anyone here ever find something expensive or interesting with a metal detector?

What are good name brands in metal detectors and what would be a good, reliable entry level detector to buy? I have been interested in this for a long time and can think of a lot of places I would like to check out with a detector.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I just got into metal detecting. I have a bountyhunter discovery 1100. seems to be a nice little machine. Wife got it for me. I find mostly coins and beer tabs. Fun though.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got into metal detecting. I have a bountyhunter discovery 1100. seems to be a nice little machine. Wife got it for me. I find mostly coins and beer tabs. Fun though.
How much $$$ for your detector? If I buy I don't want to spend a small fortune but I also don't mind paying for a quality piece.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've done a little metal detecting around here. Found cannon balls, buckles, bullets, money(coins) and rings with it. Spent about $600 bucks on mine.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
A Garret or White would be my choice.
I have an old Garret coin shooter and I love it.
Also great for finding nuts you drop while working on cars outside :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
We have Minelabs that we use in our prospecting. A decent one of those starts in the 1000-1500 range but they also have a setting for gold. I have used the cheaper ones as well on beaches and stuff like that so it just really depends on what you are hoping to find as to what you'll need.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A Garret or White would be my choice.
I have an old Garret coin shooter and I love it.
Also great for finding nuts you drop while working on cars outside :)
I did a search on eBay earlier just to get an idea about prices. Lots of Garret's came up on that search. Just didn't know which would be the best for someone not familiar with them.

I actually thought that about finding the nuts and bolts last night while watching the show!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have Minelabs that we use in our prospecting. A decent one of those starts in the 1000-1500 range but they also have a setting for gold. I have used the cheaper ones as well on beaches and stuff like that so it just really depends on what you are hoping to find as to what you'll need.
I've seen Massey using them on the show Gold Fever for prospecting and can even remember commercials for them during the show. Just couldn't remember what brand. I would mainly be searching around old home sites from the early 1900's. I know of several that I'm pretty sure no one has ever checked out.

You find a lot of gold?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I've seen Massey using them on the show Gold Fever for prospecting and can even remember commercials for them during the show. Just couldn't remember what brand. I would mainly be searching around old home sites from the early 1900's. I know of several that I'm pretty sure no one has ever checked out.

You find a lot of gold?
Nugget finds are far and few between but then there is a lot of ground to cover where we prospect and as bad as the ground here is mineralized it can be hard to distinguish a lot of times. We haven't used them a lot but plan on using them more this season. We also used them some last year in an area that sampled good and while it went crazy in the hole once we ran the dirt it was not that great.

I think like anything else for what we are doing with them there is a learning curve but if you get one for coins and relics it is pretty straight forward. Expect to find a lot of junk like cans, pull tabs, foil and stuff like that as well. If you are going to search old homes and/or sites make sure to spend extra time around any real large trees on the property and if it still has a structure run all of the walls.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My son sold a Blaster 4 wheeler when he was 15 and used the $700.00 to buy a Whites Silver Eagle. His buddies laughed at him for doing this.
That was 20 years ago, he bought a new Whites, and gave me the old one. It's a fun hobby.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nugget finds are far and few between but then there is a lot of ground to cover where we prospect and as bad as the ground here is mineralized it can be hard to distinguish a lot of times. We haven't used them a lot but plan on using them more this season. We also used them some last year in an area that sampled good and while it went crazy in the hole once we ran the dirt it was not that great.

I think like anything else for what we are doing with them there is a learning curve but if you get one for coins and relics it is pretty straight forward. Expect to find a lot of junk like cans, pull tabs, foil and stuff like that as well. If you are going to search old homes and/or sites make sure to spend extra time around any real large trees on the property and if it still has a structure run all of the walls.
That's cool on finding the gold. Is that there in GA?

Thanks for the tips on the old home places. At some of the places I know of the houses have been gone for years.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought my 10 year old a Garrett ace 250 for $260. We enjoy it. It will pick up something as small as a tear drop. Have not found anything real valuable but it is fun.

·
JACKASS
5,085 Posts

X2 on the old home places, I have a good friend that was out with his detector at a old home place and found close to $300 in silver.

·
Registered
846 Posts
One time the water on Lake Wylie was way down and there is a sand bar everyone hangs out at during the summer that was exposed. A friend of mine told me that they knew someone that went out and found almost $10,000.00 worth of jewelry in 3 days.

I'm on it next time the water drops!!!!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That's cool on finding the gold. Is that there in GA?

Thanks for the tips on the old home places. At some of the places I know of the houses have been gone for years.
Yes in the Dahlonega area which is in the gold belt.

There have been quite a few recent finds across the country of coin hordes inside the walls of old houses so keep that in mind. Also should you find a large amount it is best to keep it to yourself ;)

There is the remains of the old mining camp here from the gold rush days that we have been through prob 30 years ago but it is all posted now and changed ownership but I would love to be able to go back in there now with a metal detector and see what could be found. A guy names Ernest Andrews wrote a book about buried treasures in Georgia and back then my dad did some dredging with his son but I vaguely remember looking around on that property for what was believed to be a large amount of gold that was buried but never found it. With the technology of todays detectors if it was there and not just a fable who knows what could be found.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts