Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
What are you trying to sleeve...........an iron or aluminum block? For aluminum blocks, the sleeves are flanged.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pretty sure its more or less a stock replacement cast iron sleeve, I don't think you're going to want to take it out far beyond ~3.905 maybe 3.908-3.910

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
4.030" will leave a wall thickness of .150".

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
That's pushing the envelope even for the ductile iron, IMO.

You'd be better off with using a universal flanged sleeve for 4.050"-4.060". L.A. Sleeve has more choices for LS but they will cost on average of $300 more for a set of 8 than the Mellings.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
I'm an idiot.

While getting a list of parts together I realized a huge error and mAydAy is very correct. I forget to split the number. Max bore on the stock replacement sleeves is around 3.900".

Sorry for the bad info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank billyman i was ready to order in the morning. i was thinking the same thing. do you have a source for the la sleeve kit or part#? And maybe you could tell me why sleeving ls1 blocks is so made out to be harder then other aluminum blocks?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
thank billyman i was ready to order in the morning. i was thinking the same thing. do you have a source for the la sleeve kit or part#? And maybe you could tell me why sleeving ls1 blocks is so made out to be harder then other aluminum blocks?
LA Sleeve part# FL-3188 would be ideal for you. So would a Melling 590298.

Some OEM and almost all aftermarket aluminum blocks are fitted with replaceable sleeves. All the rest are made with the "cast in" liners meaning iron cylinder liners where placed in the mold and the aluminum poured afterwards, making it impossible to just remove the liners. LS blocks are as or no more difficult as any other that share the same design. Early on, a few machinist where just boring the holes out and driving straight, non-flanged sleeves in just as if it where an old skool SBC. It didn't/doesn't work well as the sleeves had a tendency to drop (slide down). Any machine shop equipped to handle flanged sleeve installs will have no problems provided they keep in mind the proper interference fit and/or the expansion rate of aluminum. For me, flanged sleeves are too time consuming to justify installing them (at this time). If I had CNC stuff, it would be painless.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Not right off. We (company I work for) only stocks a few sleeves we use very often. Since we can generally get them the next day, full sets or multiples of are ordered when needed. I've only used LA Sleeves twice and only because they had something readily available no one else appeared to have. A vast majority of the sleeves I use are Melling. A complete set of 8 sleeves usually costs the customer around $600 but this if for regular iron. Ductile iron sleeves are more and will cost in the neighborhood of around $700-$850 depending. I know Proline deals with LA Sleeves. Also get with Billy Briggs, he may have a connection or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts