Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
41,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody catch the Mecum auction that's been running the last couple of days? Never seen anything like it, even back in the BJ heyday. Some collector brought a dozen or so Camaros and Chevelles; 1969 Camaro SS after 1969 Camaro SS (and Z28s) never failed to bring over $100,000 and one with the 396/375 hit $150,000. A 70 Chevelle SS396 - not 454 - rang the bell at $95,000 and a 1967 Restomod Vette - which was damn sure a nice car - hammered down at $295,000.

Good time to be pitching and not catching in the collector-car market.... :oops:

·
Registered
22,395 Posts
I’ve been watching. I thought the genuine Ford Thunderbolt (looks to have been street driven, not raced) was cheap at $210,000. A boatload of Z/28s, and yeah, $100k seems to be a given on these now.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
And now every guy with a rusted clapped out Chevelle is gonna think his is now worth 30k. BJ and Mecum have ruined the hobby. What they need to include is the build cost so these guys watching know that 100k car cost 200k to get there and not every Chevelle is worth 10x what reality is

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
$100k just isn't what it use to be :eek:
That’s for sure. I just watched a 1993 Mustang Cobra go for $100k. Sure it’s probably the nicest one in existence at something like 1200 miles but it’s still a Fox body.

And now every guy with a rusted clapped out Chevelle is gonna think his is now worth 30k. BJ and Mecum have ruined the hobby. What they need to include is the build cost so these guys watching know that 100k car cost 200k to get there and not every Chevelle is worth 10x what reality is
That happened 20 years ago.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I was there for last weekend. BIL is a buyer. Could've joined him but after doing it for 3 years it doesn't do anything for me anymore so I've passed the last 4 years. That said, last Friday they did a record $4.6 in sales and Saturday 97% of the cars sold. According to my BIL Saturdays cars all seemed to be covid projects!

He planned on bringing three cars this year but his buddy couldn't commit to the 14 days needed for the trip from Cape Cod, four being travel days and ten for the show. My SIL, his buddy and I left there Tuesday, he's still there.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
That’s for sure. I just watched a 1993 Mustang Cobra go for $100k. Sure it’s probably the nicest one in existence at something like 1200 miles but it’s still a Fox body.

That happened 20 years ago.
Yeah thats for sure. I looked at a 65 Elcamino that needed pans, fenders, doors, quarters, rockers with no engine and shit interior. He said he wanted 15 for it and I said $1,500 was a bit much and he said no $15k! Then said he saw one "just like it" sell for $130k on BJ so his that "needs work" should be atleast worth $15k. Lol

·
Aviation Section
27,327 Posts
Reactions: oletrux and =V8=

·
Aviation Section
27,327 Posts
What was the selling price of the Hirohata Merc? I looked yesterday on Google and could find nothing.

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
Before Hot August Nights started they had a show in a park north of the freeway. One car there was a 57 Merc M335 convertible! Nascar used to have a convertible class. Beside it was a 57 Ford Sunliner convertible Paxton Supercharged

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Home sick with Covid this week so I've been watching. Surprised to see that Chris Jacobs has left the BJ team and come over to Mecum. I don't know why I thought this but my impression was that BJ was the gold standard and Mecum was kind of the JV team. Doesn't seem to be that way with the quality of cars Mecum is attracting as well as with the big name cars too.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts