Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....anyone going to this and what should I expect?

never been,the owner of the '68 camaro I painted next week and invited the Mrs and I to go...

...if you see a gimpy long haired dude with a "401-Restos" shirt on and cane... hobblin' around, kick the cane out and introduce your self!!:cool:

·
Aviation Section
25,505 Posts
I am pre-registered as a bidder, it is in Kissimmee at Osceola Heritage Park on highway 192, if you take the Turnpike get off at exit 244 and go West and follow the signs. It starts on Wednesday the 26th and runs until Sunday, also if you go NCRS for Corvettes is having thier annual winter meet in Old Town, just ask around, all the locals know where Old Town is and if you are in town you should go to this also, NCRS ends Sunday the 30th. Dave

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
think thats where a "previously flooded" vette was going to be auctioned. not sure if the previous owner got that straightened out or not.....big block 65 or 66. i know he wasn't too happy about it and was supposed to be going down there ....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep,we're leaving Thursday. The car is supposed to go over sat afternoon.

Hope the weather is better than here!!

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I am pre-registered as a bidder, it is in Kissimmee at Osceola Heritage Park on highway 192, if you take the Turnpike get off at exit 244 and go West and follow the signs. It starts on Wednesday the 26th and runs until Sunday, also if you go NCRS for Corvettes is having thier annual winter meet in Old Town, just ask around, all the locals know where Old Town is and if you are in town you should go to this also, NCRS ends Sunday the 30th. Dave
do you know how to ride a horse ??? that is St. Cloud....yeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

·
Aviation Section
25,505 Posts
Just got back, you would never know there was a resession from the prices the cars were commanding. It rained really hard on Tuesday so it made it even harder to get under the cars and make sure that what the owner and Mecum said the car was could really be true as they were all parked on grass and mud.

Mecum has all the bases covered, they have been at this for awhile. In thier bidder registration that you have to sign and initial it say that they are not responsible for the description of the car, the seller is, but yet is is printed on a large Mecum card with logo and in almost every case it says "numbers matching", that term is so overused that it is meaningless.

Case in point, I won the auction on three cars, one of them on Friday was a 1972 Corvette 454 air/auto convertible, "NUMBERS MATCHING" of course, and it said so on the large Mecum card attached to the front window. Now I own these cars and have purchased a lot of them, in the preview before the auction I got down and dirty in the grass and mud to check this one and many others out. This car had a PASSENGER CAR 1973 454, a Moroso side kick-out oil pan and an aftermarket transmission pan. Also it had headers at one time and instead of buying new exhaust pipes to the mullfers they just grafted in down pipes from the stock exhaust manifolds that they now put on the car and it looked like shit!

From what I saw the car had a hard life but it was a 1972 air big-block vert and I wanted it. Won the auction at $27,000 but it didn't meet reserve. Went to the bid goes on booth and bid twice more higher but the owner said no, he actually got on the phone and argued with me that it was a "NUMBERS MATCHING" car and I pointed out the short comings and told him it was not, he says to me he was "told" it was and that's all he knows.

This is where this hobby is going, if you want a "real car" because you are paying "real inflated money for it" chance are you are not going to get it. I didn't see anyone checking the cars out as hard as I did and none of those fat cats that were bidding brought someone along to do it either. I am sure that MANY people bought cars because of what they were purported to be and are now stuck with restamps or just plain out misrepresented cars.

Corvette NCRS Winter Meet was also going on 14 miles West in Old Town and I actually had a better time there and split my time between both shows, it was my first time bidding at Mecum and I have been going to NCRS Winter Meet since the 80'S

Don't think I will be back at Mecum either as a bidder or spectator, it is almost an unreal enviorment that is not grounded in reality, for the most part you can't even start the cars and you sure can't test drive them, at NCRS you can do all that and more and get a better deal besides without having to pay 6% on top of the sale price to Mecum! Dave

·
On the roller...
15,872 Posts
Interesting, Dave. Thanks for the story since most of us just watch Mecum on TV... So you won three auctions but never wound up settling with the owners?

·
Aviation Section
25,505 Posts
Yes, all three did not meet reserve but they have the rights to the cars there for sale for 21 days after the event, while at the event the cars get a decal on the window that says "and the bid goes on" and you go to the bid goes on desk, show your bidders pass and fill out a form and they call the owner right there (most are not on the property, cars are on consignment) and they give the owner the bid and he says yes or no, in the 1972 Corvette case on my second bid attempt the guy at the desk puts me on the phone with the owner and we talked. He had a reserve of $36,000 on the car and would not budge even after I pointed out the shortcomings, he ended up having it sent back up to Atlanta to his home rather then make a deal with me.

I was also looking for a MGA and was the high bid on a 1959 but the owner had a $30,000 reserve on the car and that deal was not going to happen so all I got was a lot of parts at NCRS and I bought the hardtop off a guys 1961 Corvette for my 1961 car, it is a two year only hardtop and they go for $6000.00 rebuilt from several companies and are VERY hard to find, there were none at the show for sale and I just started to talk to him about his car and that I needed his top and since he hardly ever had it on the car we made a deal for $3750.00 so even though my trailer was empty going back to Miami the pick-up was full, saw a LOT of nice cars and had a good time but next year will only be going to NCRS, those guys can keep Mecum! Dave

·
Aviation Section
25,505 Posts
I don't know, I left on Saturday night at about 9:00PM to go to the hotel and did not see them go through. They were all parked to stage right (Grumpys SRD Vega and Camaro, Sox and Martin Cuda, Glidden Pinto and the Shelby Super Snake) , they didn't look as if they had been moved or changed postion from where they were parked on Tuesday and I think that they were on Sundays program which I did not stay to see as I had a pick-up truck full of parts and a hard top from NCRS and didn't want anything to dissappear.

Split time between Mecum and NCRS and I could have missed it but I think they were run through on Sunday. Dave

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...none of the drag cars sold...they might of leter on in the parking lot but none met their reserve.

freaking crazy how much these people were trying for daily drivers...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts