Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly getting to the point of putting my engine together. It's a 624 BBf that was on alcohol with a bird catcher(maybe buzzard) I'm switching to e85, possivly 16 injectors, maybe blower and it will see street use(I know it's not going to be pretty and not for anything but recreational travel)

The hat I picked up(hillborn shotgun) came with injectors labeled 47a. There were no jets in the system, barrel valve also has distribution block and a yellow powdery substance all over(assuming ethanol or methanol not cleaned). Reading in kinsler its giving conflicting info. The a is the tip type. But is 47 the injector model, one option they list says yes, but it wouldn't be vented which these are. Or is 47 the office identification. How do I tell. Can a jet be added before these to make them smaller.

Also where is a good source to try to figure out which jets, pills, proper and top end peanut setting I should use. Want it to be as progressive as possible. Read hawkes article, not sure if I'm going that far.

Lastly what are thoughts on instajet controlling hat injectors and port injectors being traditionally controlled
I know instajet is good at adjusting but keeps it at stoich, and I feel I want it richer under load.

I'm not sold on anything but running mechanical. Prefer to have staged injectors, or would I be better off with a setup like Ron's for clean idle and have poppet set higher to add fuel on demand

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Save yourself time..............Call Spud at Fuel Injection Enterprises. Have him flow and calibrate your system trust me it is worth 1500.00 bucks and his knowledge is beyond what you know and I can promise it will run right out of the box.

Call: 541-990-2485

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I do not think you can make it work on the street even for limited use. They are set up so rich at low RPM and idle that they use a bunch of fuel. The fumes will choke you and mileage will be horrible. Now they have Electronic fuel injection systems that look like the classic mechanical systems yet work much better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have efi for another car, this one I want to be stupid with. It's a 624 and 5 speed lenco. Economy was never an option. This is just to be difficult and have a project that requires thinking

·
Registered
65,050 Posts
OP, your intent is to drive an Mechanical Fuel Injected engine on the street --- expect to be disappointed. They work great at idle and full throttle. Part-throttle they do not work.

That said, if you can figure out how to machine a barrel valve that doesn't feed the engine too much fuel at part throttle, you might have some success.

My 2c

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Horndog. Was thinking of possibly running instajet on hat injectors and setting port pressure up for higher rpms. Outside of that it has been done by a few people with success and different methods. Hawkes divided his system into 4 circuits, select a jet can be used. And lastly a select few use the pump shutoff/bypass to adjust on the fly. I have o2 sensors for both banks and can watch numbers and adjust. Im in the planning stages of a build. So time and lack of a need for this car to drive well are on my side. Worst case I sell it off and mount the fuel injection I have planned for another car

·
Registered
65,050 Posts
Horndog. Was thinking of possibly running instajet on hat injectors and setting port pressure up for higher rpms. Outside of that it has been done by a few people with success and different methods. Hawkes divided his system into 4 circuits, select a jet can be used. And lastly a select few use the pump shutoff/bypass to adjust on the fly. I have o2 sensors for both banks and can watch numbers and adjust. Im in the planning stages of a build. So time and lack of a need for this car to drive well are on my side. Worst case I sell it off and mount the fuel injection I have planned for another car
Good luck on your project!!

If you can, try to keep up updated with progress posts and pics of the fuel system, if you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am also converting to Mechanical FI, I am in the final stag of gathering all my pieces. I plan to start in Jan..

the system I chose was Hillborn eight stack I had talked to Don @ Hillborn before they moved to the East coast
The setup he gave me will get me started so that I can get to tuning

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ndmp40 I've read that 2-3 times over. Not sure if I'm going to drilling the the block as I'm trying to use a hillborn shotgun with the barrel valve and dust block together. Figure small injectors on the top, and most of the flow from ports as needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts