Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start pieceing together a max effort novi 2000 street car.

I am limited to 421 cubic inches. And I have an EFI renegade Novi 2000 setup. The car is blow through carb. I am wanting to run drag radials. Most the guys are only going 9.70s or slower with these rules, but remember our normal DAs are in the 9000s.

What would your engine consist of? Small block ford?

Rules:

Stock Suspension or Ladder Bars. Stock OEM framerails. Coil Overs allowed with 50# adder.
Headlights, TailLights, Brake Lights Mandatory
Two Seats, No Lettering, Original Firewall, Stock Pedals
28 x 10.50 Slick, 275/60R15 DR, 28 x 12.50 ET Street or smaller tires allowed.
No wheelie bars
Stock Valve angle +/-2-degrees for all engines. No canted, Splayed or non-conventional heads. LS and 18-degree SB allowed with 75 weight penalty.
Induction: 4150 carb only/ 90MM throttle body. Any cast intake OK. No sheetmetal.
No Double power adders on V8 cars. (turbo+nitrous/ blower+nitrous)
Nitrous: Spray Bar plate or single fogger nozzle only, .073 jet checked every pass, no multi-nozzle foggers, -4 braided line. Purge allowed, but must exit outside.
Blower: F-1 or 6-71 max
Turbo: Twin 60's or single 76
No Progressive Nitrous, No adjustable boost controller, no 7531 box
Max CI 421 SB, 510 BB power adder, 565 NA
Weights:
4 Cyl........Single PA.......2500
4 Cyl........Double PA......2700
6 Cyl........Single PA.......2800
6 Cyl........Double PA......2900
SB NA...........................2600
BB NA to 498 CI.............3000
BB NA to 565 CI.............3100
SB NOS.........................3000
BB NOS.........................3400
SB Blower......................3250
BB Blower......................3500
SB Turbo.......................3250
BB Turbo.......................3500

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I should have said there is a c4 behind the car and I do drive the car on the street quite often.
1st start by getting a reliable tranny in there. The C4 is not going to cut it! The 10.5 slick is going to be the way to go as your going to need to throw everything at it from the start.

Paxton has a deal going on where you can send back a Novi2k and get the 2500 for around 1700 bucks. Its rated for 1300hp and will suit you better

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am keeping the C4. I will go through it every 20-30 passes. But the C4 is staying, I know its not what most people would want, but I tend to be a little different in some things. The C4 is going to stay.

and Whats the reason why I can't pull timing out on the launch to hook up on a Hoosier 275?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Altitude might be playing into the times that guys are running there. I notice you are in Colorado.

I went faster than 9.70's on a 17 inch drag radial with a novi2000 back in 2003-2004. Biggest problem I ran into was keeping a cog belt alive. I don't notice anything in the rules regarding belts, so I don't know if you are allowed to or not allowed to run a cog. If you can, you can convert a novi2000 to a 50mm cog setup and solve the belt issues.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Altitude might be playing into the times that guys are running there. I notice you are in Colorado.

I went faster than 9.70's on a 17 inch drag radial with a novi2000 back in 2003-2004. Biggest problem I ran into was keeping a cog belt alive. I don't notice anything in the rules regarding belts, so I don't know if you are allowed to or not allowed to run a cog. If you can, you can convert a novi2000 to a 50mm cog setup and solve the belt issues.
There is no doubt the altitude is playing a part in going slow.... I had 402 uncorrected horse on the dyno and makd 497 corrected. That same tune up went 10.7s here.

Even being EFI renegade setup on the car you think ill have belt issues?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my thoughts are....

Dart Eagle Iron 4.125 bore
Callies Magnum 3.90 stroke 351 Mains crank
THat makes it 417 cubic inches, but its a big bore smaller stroke motor then.
Not sure on what length rod, but probably a GRP rod (they are local to me)

TEA 225 Trick Flow High Ports
Steve Morris Roller Cam
shaft mount rocker setup
Victor Jr intake
My CSU carb

Figure everything should be good to what ever I wanna rev it to, and should make power around 7200-7400 RPM.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There is no doubt the altitude is playing a part in going slow.... I had 402 uncorrected horse on the dyno and makd 497 corrected. That same tune up went 10.7s here.

Even being EFI renegade setup on the car you think ill have belt issues?
Probably no belt issues with the efi renegade setup. But, I was never a huge fan of the tension required to keep the serpentine setups from slipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran a 9.75 at 137 with a 351 stroked to 393, Novi 2000 (10 rib) 12 lbs. scat crank, eagle rods, 10.4:1 26 degree timing, vic jr. heads right out of the box, megasquirt, C4 (mighty mite m2)in a 81 capri on a 28 x 10.5 here in Albuquerque. We have about the same DA problems you have in CO.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran a 9.75 at 137 with a 351 stroked to 393, Novi 2000 (10 rib) 12 lbs. scat crank, eagle rods, 10.4:1 26 degree timing, vic jr. heads right out of the box, megasquirt, C4 (mighty mite m2)in a 81 capri on a 28 x 10.5 here in Albuquerque. We have about the same DA problems you have in CO.
After doing more research, I may not end up with such a large motor. probably end up max of some where around 370 CI. Probably will end up with a Eagle crank/Rod setup. A about the same compression, and more boost. My heads will probably flow more too.

I have been talking with a couple guys running the same class or the faster one giving me tips. Sinse they know what they are doing, I will be learning lots from them.

Its just a matter of time too, gotta figure out how to finance this build, even though I think I know how im going to do that.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
we have this blower on a 99GTS Viper with no issues. It is one of the original Heffner blower cars from back in the day before he started making the big bucks doing twins on everything.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The novi is only going to be good for around 950hp give or take. On a smaller engine it will produce numbers higher in the rpm range where more cubic inches will bring the rpm range down.

I like the more cubes but there is a couple of problem. First is that you need to spin the novi harder earlier in the rpm range and with the serpintine setup it requires a lot of tension. Even worse if your trying to do it with an 8 rib renegade setup versus a 10 rib. A brace will be needed as it helps support the blower and crank with all the tension. You will have flex without it. As the blower pulley gets smaller this also makes belt wrap less making it a greater potential for slip.
Second issue is going to be the C4's low 1st gear of 2.4 and the radials. At 400 plus cubes its going to make a lot of torque quick and will want to blow the tires loose. You can only kill so much power and if track prep is not there its a nightmare.

Best switch I made was to the powerglide with 1.8 first gear. As much as I love the stability of the radials, I plan to switch to a 10.5 x 28s next spring to start getting after the 60ft times harder and to deal with tracks that really dont prep much.

I run a 393w a novi and try to keep it under 7k. The car ran 9.12 @149 weighing 3280

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Looks like a 4.125 Bore and 3.75 stroke might be what I do... Still in the planning process... Trying to get as much research done as possible.
might would do da 8.7" deck , do a 3.700" stroke wit h302 mains and honda
1.88" or 2" chevy rod journals, then 4.125" bore. prob go with 240highport runner size. 50* exh seats.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts