Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have on of these? This one's been around for a long time..
My wifes Dad passed very recently, and wanted me to have it... It's a model 98, and has, I believe, the German "Spread Wing Eagle" Logo on it. Her Dad, got it from his Dad, who I believe was in WW2...
Not sure when this thing was made, and I'm oblivious to these "Reach Out" type weapons.... My FFL, says he believes it came from the 60's or even the 70's... It's in pretty good shape, and I'd like to have it checked out, find some ammo, and shoot it..
This stuff, is out of the Norm for me, but I'm fascinated by it.... I'll try and get some pictures of it posted soon..
I also received, with this, an older Winchester 12 gauge pump shotgun.. It's a model 1200...
A lot of sentimental value here, because he was such a great guy...
And, a Marine, ta boot....

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Anyone have on of these? This one's been around for a long time..
My wifes Dad passed very recently, and wanted me to have it... It's a model 98, and has, I believe, the German "Spread Wing Eagle" Logo on it. Her Dad, got it from his Dad, who I believe was in WW2...
Not sure when this thing was made, and I'm oblivious to these "Reach Out" type weapons.... My FFL, says he believes it came from the 60's or even the 70's... It's in pretty good shape, and I'd like to have it checked out, find some ammo, and shoot it..
This stuff, is out of the Norm for me, but I'm fascinated by it.... I'll try and get some pictures of it posted soon..
I also received, with this, an older Winchester 12 gauge pump shotgun.. It's a model 1200...
A lot of sentimental value here, because he was such a great guy...
And, a Marine, ta boot....
I have one. 8mm is similar to the other surplus ammo. Not hard to get and mostly corrosive. A link to read up.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Next door neighbor has one. Had it checked over for her by a gunsmith so she could shoot the gun at the range once in a while. Gunsmith said it was damn near perfect condition (never fired & only dropped once.....har har har). I put about 10 rounds through it at the range. Bad sumbitch!!!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
You have to be really careful about letting those surplus rifles in your house. They multiply very quickly. Don't forget that the ammo is very often not lead and copper. They have a tendency to tear up ranges and shoot through things. As one guy told me "you aren't shootin one of those high powered 22's there".

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've got a model 1938 turkish mauser, and there's a few things to note about this cartridge.
there's 2 sizes of 8mm : .318 and .323...denoted "J" and "JS". Apparently there were production changes along the way, and this can be a source of confusion.
If you're not positive which one you have by date, you might have the bore slugged just to verify.
Also, most domestic loadings for this round can differ greatly from european spec with regard to projectile weight, and velocity.
http://www.turkmauser.com/ammo/mhbTurk.aspx
Hope this helps.

·
Dicking bimbos at home
15,340 Posts
Love my Mod98. It was built by my grandpa Stuart for my dad when he was 18. Has a couple of Nazi markings on it. 25-06 with a bull barrel and is one heavy mf-er. I will pass it down to my youngest son when it's time.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hey the old rifles are great as is or make great start for custom pieces I have post on site that show what just a new stock can do for one check out pics of old war horse I have cpl pics my 1893 model mauser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts