Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a G-body (79 Malibu) that I want to build a replacement transmission crossmember in an effort to reduce some weight. The stock piece notched and boxed is pretty hefty. I'll know exactly how much once I take it out again.

Anyway, by the space available, I can squeeze in a 1 1/4" diameter tube side to side. If I measured and looked at it correctly, it should be able to be made to fit straight accross side to side with no bends. I will use 4130 chromoly and Tig weld all the end brackets and trans mount. I'm not sure what wall thickness should be used.

The tube will be 48" long and supported on either end of course with the th400 resting in the center (Duh!).

I was thinking of using either .083" or .095" wall. Which would be most appropriate given it's quite wide. I'm gonna guess .095", but felt I should ask an expert.

thanks
Todd

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Either should be strong enough. The thicker will only add a few ounces to the piece and would be a better choice if easily available. If your engine is in the stock location, it is most likely 1/2 inch offset to the passenger side, so your trans will have to be also. (If your car was built new with the engine offset, the pinion is also offset) Unless your car is severly lowered, measure the stock drivetrain angle and put it back the way it was. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Most of the cars I've worked on (not any G bodies) were ofset 1/2". Thanks for the info, and for all the good advice you give everyone here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts