Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks have a large handle master power switch near the driver for emergencies? Kind of a panic "kill power to everything" if things go south quick.

If so, what did you use for a switch. I'm thinking a larger paddle switch that can be swatted in a panic, but not accidentally.

Pooch

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ive seen this come up before & some guys posted up a cable set-up they did to operate the switch in the back. That way if you get in & forget to turn it on, you just pull it...if you have a problem, you push it. Seemed like a really neat way to go. Lorne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Disclaimer: A relay isn't the safest method of disconnect, but here's how I run things... This is a method of keeping a massive b+ cable out of your cab.

Most of my 12v runs off a big ass relay (or contactor), only stuff that needs constant voltage like pcm, stereo, clock, alarm if you need it etc.. will bypass the contactor. My key energizes the coil, so when I turn off the key the whole car is dead. I'm probably going to put an emergency switch in series with the key and that relay just for panic mode at the track. These relays are advertised as golf cart relays or you can just look up on amazon something like a 200 amp continuous rated 12v relay. I have had ford starter relays fail on me in this configuration, which I have heard people run before, so get a dedicated high current relay if you wanna try it. I've been running fans, solenoids, lights and ignition through one of these relays without fail. Plus it gives you a satisfying clunk when you turn the key.

This is also a workaround for running your alternator charge wire all the way back to the switch in the rear - just connect it to the battery side of this relay and everything will be dead when the main disconnect is shut off. The schematic below is the "NHRA Legal" version - for a buddy's project.

Woody's Truck.JPG

Again, there's always the chance that the contacts on the relay will weld shut or the coil will fail to disengage and your killswitch will not put the car to sleep. It is also a good idea to throw a fuse on the 18ga wire for your key if it is running through a firewall or if it is fairly long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, that's a good one. I didn't think it could be that simple. I thought the key and access could only be with me

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow, that's a good one. I didn't think it could be that simple. I thought the key and access could only be with me
If your cut off switch is in the rear next to the batteries, use a cable to the driver's area and use a lever mounted next to the shifter.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Cable w/t-handle in my road racer. Same for fire system, one T-handle I can reach, and one that track personnel can reach from outside the car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lokar makes a great cable kit with all necessary hardware. I have had one in my foxbody for 3 seasons or so. That safety truck does their best....I can kill all power NOW. A good investment.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Made mine with a generic Morse cable. Fabbed some linkage from tubing, flat stock , and carb ball stud linkage. The pivot (tube) is attached to the switch with a compression fitting cut in half. Control rod come out next to the license plate.
Doug

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
How many folks have a large handle master power switch near the driver for emergencies? Kind of a panic "kill power to everything" if things go south quick.

If so, what did you use for a switch. I'm thinking a larger paddle switch that can be swatted in a panic, but not accidentally.

Pooch

Pooch
I

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes ,,,dvw set up is legal. you must kill the hot side of the battery ,, had same set up in many different cars and always passed tech at nhra track and events

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,084 Posts
yes ,,,dvw set up is legal. you must kill the hot side of the battery ,, had same set up in many different cars and always passed tech at nhra track and events
The positive kill switch is for the main switch in the rear. Cant the secondary kill switch be on the ground side?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I watch Justin swanstrom’s videos, he has a generic on/off switch in the car, right where his nitrous valves are. If you watch the video of him breaking the driveshaft in Bradenton with Alcatraz 2.0, it shows the switch being broken when the shaft goes. I would think about moving that switch somewhere else...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a e-stop like switch on the main power line. First one(twist style) in back by battery and my e-stop (push-pull) button next to shifter before power goes fuses.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
On my Front Engine Dragster when I had bettery in the back I had standard master cut off in rear at the back of car but then I also had an electric solenoid for main power and activated by switch on the dash so I could shut down master power from inside the car. Worked quite well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts