Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Master cylinder problem

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  1badrz28 
#1 ·
When do you know when the master is bad. Here is my problem, in the burnout box the car will creep out when the line lock is on. Also at the top end it just seems like the car will not stop at all and im doing all I can do to stop the car. It has 4 wheel disk brakes and all the rotors get so hot that they are turning color. I have a Wilwood master right now and was thinking of replacing it and trying that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

#2 ·

When the pedal goes to the floor, the seal went bad.

If the rotors are glowing, you are still getting pressure.

As for moving in the water, are you pumping up the pressure enough before pushing the button??

Good luck.

#6 ·

Is the pedal different?? if the pedal bleeds out, the master is leaking past the seal.
When you lose a master, you will usually have no doubt.
It will not hold, small leak, or go straight to the floor, blown seal.

#8 ·
Is this a new problem.....was is good before? If it has never been right, sounds like a pedal ratio/ MC bore issue......If it was good before, sounds like the master cylinder is leaking past the seal.....We are a Wilwood dealer if you need anything.

#9 ·
its a 1 1/16 bore. I just bought the car last year, so I dont know if it was ever good. I just know that is not right that u have to get on the brakes that hard to stop. If I dont pull the chute is a real treat to stop.

#10 ·
if you have 4 wheel disc, that is too big....and check the pedal ratio...should be prob around 6:1....I highly doubt that the system has ever been good. The big bore is not allowing you to build enough pressure on the calipers, thats why they are getting hot and not stopping the car. Go down to a 1" bore

#12 ·
I just got off the phone with Aerospace cause that's what the brakes are and I think the master is from them too looks just like the Wilwood one but its a 1 1/8 bore. He told me to do a pressure test on all 4 corners to have at least 1000 psi and there should be more in the front. Second thing is to get the ratio of the pedal as OB1 mentioned. The pads I ordered from Aerospace last year cause I thought that could be the problem, also got new front rotors but didn't change anything. Thanks for all the great info I really appreciate it. I will go back and do some test and see what is wrong.

Thanks again

#14 ·
I just did a pedal ratio and it between 4.3 and 4.7 and Aerospace told me to be at 7 so I have to move it up. But im going to take a PSI test on all 4 corners tomorrow night and see what it is at 4.5 lets just say and than again when I move it to 7. Should be interesting. More info to come.

#15 ·
Ok the pressure at 4.5 pedal ratio was 800 psi than I put the pedal ratio at 7 and the pedal goes to the floor and cant get a hard pedal. Put it back to 4.5 and i have a hard pedal. Is the master junk?

#16 ·
Do you see any signs of "wetness" where the mc bolts to the firewall ? Or looking from inside the car ?

Is the push rod, going into the mc, going in straight after you made the ratio change ?

I'm curious to know how you changed the leverage ratio. Going from 4.5 to 7 is a pretty big jump in push rod position on the brake pedal.

#17 ·
No, I didnt see any wetness anywhere.

I moved the rod up one inch on the pedal. It is alittle on the high side. I was trying to get the rod to go straight in but laying on my head I was alittle off.

#21 ·
Well the problem is solved. At the 7:1 pedal ratio the pedal would go to the floor on two different masters, Thought it was the master the first time and bought a new one and still did the same thing. Right to the floor with no hard pedal. Than I put it at about a 6:1 ratio and had a great hard pedal and 1000 psi at all courners. Just a follow up for u guys.

Thanks again,
Rob

#22 ·
No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.

7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

Why?

Cause Rob yor fucking fired!

I thought you'd like that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.