Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I need some more A-Body help here.
putting manual discs on the front of my street driven 72 Lemans (drums in the back, most likely the discs will be single or dual piston calipers for now)
A few questions.
As far as manual master cylinders, what bore size do I need?
Can I grab a MC off of another car that may work? Is it best to just get a repro from partscource or NAPA? They don't have it for my car so maybe another cars MC will work?(the car came with manual drums, so the pedal is already set on the second hole for better leverage, GM guys will know what I mean)

Also as far as proportioning valves. My pops has a wilwood adjustable lying around, but I am just wondering if these are okay for extended street use or should I get one of the re-manufactured replacements?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My 70 chevelle came with drums all the way around, I put factory disc's up front and a 1inch bore MC. Thats it! It stops fine at 120 plus in the 1/4. If you have any more questions PM me, I did this last year and still have a bunch of stuff wrote down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 70 chevelle came with drums all the way around, I put factory disc's up front and a 1inch bore MC. Thats it! It stops fine at 120 plus in the 1/4. If you have any more questions PM me, I did this last year and still have a bunch of stuff wrote down.
I would love to get that info from you.

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use the 68 vette master cylinder?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
did you use the 68 vette master cylinder?
Nope, I used a 70 chevelle 1 inch bore MC, from all the stuff I read it states to use a 1 inch or small for manual brakes and a 6 to 1 pedal ratio. If i had to do over I would have a bought plastic resivior MC to shed some weight. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the vette master cylinder has 1 1/8" bore.it worked good with the stock stuff. i have all strange stuff now to shed some weight.

·
the educated fool
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump for the weekenders.

whitey70SS said he used his drum brake proportioning valve. I have never heard of anyone doing this. So can anyone comment on the Wilwood adjustable for street use?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you can find one, a MC off a s10 should work. As far as the proportion valve that you have access to will be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts