Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a PMS with an A/W intercooler and was wondering if I should be placing the Mass Air Flow sensor before the intercooler or after? I was told that if you place it after the condensation that forms will have a bad effect on the meter and performance of engine? If that is the case what will happen if installed before cooler? What will happen with tune? I was under the impression that it had to be installed after the cooler

Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys but i spoke to Rick at Anderson the other day and he said he has been tuning several cars with the MAF sensors located after the a/w intercoolers with no problem. He said he hasn't put the MAF on the hot side because it would not be measuring the proper density of the air entering the motor. Tuning would definitly be difficult.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You are going to need to put it on the hot side of the intercooler. The cold side may build up condensation and cause problems with the sensor.

how did you come to that conclusion?

Rick Anderson said to put it on the cold side.

so explain your testing that brought you to post this

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
how did you come to that conclusion?

Rick Anderson said to put it on the cold side.

so explain your testing that brought you to post this
I used to help out on a car with The BIG procharger air to water... One day we swapped the meter from the hot side to the cold side to see of tuning would be better, being that’s when the motor is actually seeing. Car was bucking, popping etc.., just would not run full throttle. After messing with the tune and not getting anywhere we pulled the meter off the car and were able to shake water from it. Dried it out and put it back on the other side, problem went away. We were seeing 55-60 degree temps….. Most of the smaller air to water coolers are in the70-80 degree range, which may not be cold enough to cause that problem

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I used to help out on a car with The BIG procharger air to water... One day we swapped the meter from the hot side to the cold side to see of tuning would be better, being that’s when the motor is actually seeing. Car was bucking, popping etc.., just would not run full throttle. After messing with the tune and not getting anywhere we pulled the meter off the car and were able to shake water from it. Dried it out and put it back on the other side, problem went away. We were seeing 55-60 degree temps….. Most of the smaller air to water coolers are in the70-80 degree range, which may not be cold enough to cause that problem
so you think you had condensation @55-60 degrees?

or possibly a pin hole in the core? could that have been it? HMMM.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
so you think you had condensation @55-60 degrees?

or possibly a pin hole in the core? could that have been it? HMMM.
We thought about that. We put the car on the dyno before swapping it back and just ran water in it and did not have the problem. Back at the track with ice the problem came back immediately. I'm sure people have done it with no problems, for us it just didn't work.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I hope this does'nt become a problem for me. I moved mine and the car runs a lot better, but i did find water inside the tubing. I have not been to the dyno since. 306 XX TRIM 83lb BLOW THRU

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wheres the bov after you move the meter to the hot side?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts