Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new high power rifle. What say you guys about the Marlin series. Bolt action, and I know Marlin has been out of the bolt action game for a while but other reviews on line seem to speak favorably of them. Looking at either .270 or .308.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Looking for a new high power rifle. What say you guys about the Marlin series. Bolt action, and I know Marlin has been out of the bolt action game for a while but other reviews on line seem to speak favorably of them. Looking at either .270 or .308.
are you sure it's not MR series? They made a long action rifle in 30-06 and .280 for awhile, and I think later added .270 Winchester to the line up. I have one in 30-06, and here's what you get:

*reciever is pretty much like a pre 64 Winchester mod. 70. The bolt is all Remingtion in design. Saftey is similar to the Winchester in memory is right (mine is in the safe). The trigger is typical Paul Mauser (similar to what Winchester used). They us a really nice covered drop box magazine, that is so small you can carry on in your shirt pocket. The barrel is about 22" long, and a generic hunting rifle profile.

The rifle is kinda on the light weight side, and with big heavy bullets, kicks like a big bore lever gun (180 and 200 grain bullets in the 30-06). Fit and finish is excellent. Mine shot 3/4" groups out of the box. An all around excellent hunting rifle in my book. I like this rifle so well that I'd like to find another one to build a 6.5x55 out of.
gary

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I looked at was an XL7 and I also think and XS7. I really like how it feels, and the price is right! Want to check on the price of teh camo stock option.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The XL7 and XS7 rifles are great rifles. Some people have good luck with them being accurate right out of the box however most of the time the barrel needs to be free floated its entire length.
This only takes about 15 minutes with a dremel tool.
One other thing that is good to do is replace the plastic trigger guard with a metal one, they are prone to cracking. You can replace the trigger guard with one for a Marlin 22, only costs about 7-8 dollars.
I love these rifles. Plus if you want to spif one up with a fancy wood stock Boyds make several drop in wood stocks to choose from for around $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts