1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Satans Daddy
16,796 Posts
Yanks say "out" funny!:)

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
I mean that's a hell of a shot... but I don't agree with shooting game that far. But that's my own opinion.

·
102,312 Posts
I mean that's a hell of a shot... but I don't agree with shooting game that far. But that's my own opinion.
There's a rule amongst hunters called ethical kill. You going to shoot it from that far out it needs to be a clean kill, not where the animal runs off and dies.

Him using a .338 Lapua I'm sure accomplished that at a little over 1000 yards

·
102,312 Posts
He probably field dressed it when it hit too.. :)
.338 Lapua magnum with a 300gr just outside 1000 yards, surprised it didn't vaporize it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I know I made this comment in another thread the other day but I feel that there are a lot of people out there that are more capable of making these kind of kills than the people that shoot a gun one time a year. I think that's worse in my opinion, they don't even know if their rifle is zeroed and not having any trigger time with a perishable skill. I know last year I shot over 2000 rounds through my bolt guns and can pretty consistently make cold bore shots on a 10 or 12" plate out to 700 yards with a .308. A few friends and my father in law are happy with a paper plate at 100 and that's not an exaggeration.

A little off topic but I know a lot of people think it's ok to shoot varmints at any distance but not game. I've never understood that since it shouldn't matter what animal is the target if they don't think it's ethical on game animals.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually never took Ethics into consideration when I posted this to be honest. Interesting points though. I like it.

·
102,312 Posts
I know one of the posters here is a big time North American big game hunter and they bought a rifle specifically to take big game at distance with one shot for an ethical kill.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I want to do this. I wouldn't right now(plus I have NO glass, just sold my last leupold to buy new glass) but with enough time behind my rifle I would totally do this. Hell, most hunters think 500 yards is huge! I think it's close!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I know one of the posters here is a big time North American big game hunter and they bought a rifle specifically to take big game at distance with one shot for an ethical kill.
I would wager he is a small minority that is at that level.

I can echo the sentiments above of guys dusting off a gun before season opener and just assuming its POI and is the same as POA as last year.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Cold clear days make for great vapor trails....

By 1000 yards that bullet probably left a golf ball or smaller size hole.

I have an 80% rule on long range shots on game; if I think I have an 80% chance of punching a hole in the vitals I will take a shot. Of course most of that boils down to the rifle I have. That said 1000-1200 yards is probably as far as I will ever shoot at an animal:

So far this squirrel is my record at 900.

·
102,312 Posts
I love that shit too. :cool:

Only thing that would've made it better would've been an ISIS member on the other end of that vapor trail.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
FWIW; that squirrel was hit with a 300 gr. Berger that was launched at 2900 fps and traveled the length of his body. .338 going in- and .338 coming out. Took 2 shots to get him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts