Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maple Grove race is coming.. Can't wait to see the all concrete track and the performances. It's going to be fast.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
How so Honk. I support the sportsman racers.
Starts in tech and ends when you never get a check mailed to you after they/you cannot finish 1st round. How staff talks to racers and racers families, etc

You should take a trip down to Cecil and ask the growing number of racers who race there instead of MGR, what the deal is. There was a group of us at YB Nats just reminiscing of the days we use to race at the grove.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I worked the import vs domestic race this weekend. Judging by all the imports going 6 & 7 sec, It a very fast track. I will be working the Nationals this year and I know a lot or records will fall.

·
Registered
38,358 Posts
The Texas Motorplex is fast as anyone - under the right conditions. Thank God Meyer moved it to mid-October this year. If not for the change, they would have had the race last weekend, where we'd been treated to 102-degree ambient temperatures (except for Saturday), 30mph headwinds and 140-degree track temperatures.

The last time I attended that race under those conditions, after round 1, the bump spot for Pro Stock was lower than the bump for Top Fuel. Ridiculous. And speaking of track treatment, maybe it's changed, but before our local track switched to IHRA, the 'Plex for the most part treated Sportsman racers like invading ISIS militants, not even bothering to blow the dirt off the track, let alone prep it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Starts in tech and ends when you never get a check mailed to you after they/you cannot finish 1st round. How staff talks to racers and racers families, etc

You should take a trip down to Cecil and ask the growing number of racers who race there instead of MGR, what the deal is. There was a group of us at YB Nats just reminiscing of the days we use to race at the grove.
I was at Numedia a few years ago and heard the same thing by a few racers, they said all MGR cares about are the Nationals and other big events, could care less about the every weekend points racers. I've never raced at MGR to know personally though, just what I heard.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The Texas Motorplex is fast as anyone - under the right conditions. Thank God Meyer moved it to mid-October this year. If not for the change, they would have had the race last weekend, where we'd been treated to 102-degree ambient temperatures (except for Saturday), 30mph headwinds and 140-degree track temperatures.

The last time I attended that race under those conditions, after round 1, the bump spot for Pro Stock was lower than the bump for Top Fuel. Ridiculous. And speaking of track treatment, maybe it's changed, but before our local track switched to IHRA, the 'Plex for the most part treated Sportsman racers like invading ISIS militants, not even bothering to blow the dirt off the track, let alone prep it.
If they had it last weekend the hot temps would not have made any difference because there was a little race going on in Indy last weekend called THE US NATIONALS so nobody would have been in Texas anyway.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If they had it last weekend the hot temps would not have made any difference because there was a little race going on in Indy last weekend called THE US NATIONALS so nobody would have been in Texas anyway.
My bad disregard post #9 I lost a week somewhere.:rolleyes:

·
Confused Racer
41,577 Posts
The people who run the track still treat racers like shit.
How about they straight up lie to you? How about the only person there that was in the right got fired? I think on the weekly program they prep the track with oh wait they don't.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and still got Lied to.

Shame it's a real nice facility and with the right management and employees it could be great, unfortunately I see them only caring about the national event and not the weekly guys.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
I haven't run down there in years, but from what I've been hearing about them, which is the same as stated above, I won't be going down there and it's the closest track to me (45 minutes). I know it's not a NHRA track but I prefer Beaver Springs and I'm going to be going to Cecil soon. Both of them are around an hour and half drive for me.
MG used to be a good track but I guess money talks louder.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Local and weekend racing have to be important to racetrack, has the racers as a group approach the track manager and tried to work out their differences?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
How about they straight up lie to you? How about the only person there that was in the right got fired? I think on the weekly program they prep the track with oh wait they don't.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and still got Lied to.

Shame it's a real nice facility and with the right management and employees it could be great, unfortunately I see them only caring about the national event and not the weekly guys.
Bob, you should see mgt here, the dragstrip in general is an ugly step child....I'll always remember the grove for the FFW's when I lived in the metro. Good times way back then, but it's a shame when Dragstrips employ the wrong people.

·
Confused Racer
41,577 Posts
Bob, you should see mgt here, the dragstrip in general is an ugly step child....I'll always remember the grove for the FFW's when I lived in the metro. Good times way back then, but it's a shame when Dragstrips employ the wrong people.

they either hire the wrong people or they are controlling the people. Sad part is when Mike Lewis worked there it was awesome. Maybe there is a reason he stays away. No biggie for us as we have atco and cecil.
Cecil has the best monthly program out there bar none so that's where I go first.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I work the end of the staging lanes going into the burnout box at bigger events, so I can only speak of my section. We try to be fair to all the racers regarding restricted access to the starting line, children under 16, dogs, and alcohol. Maple Grove is a great track and like other businesses needs to hear the voice of the customers, I will make sure they see this.

But, back to the OP. It's going to be a fast track��

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
they either hire the wrong people or they are controlling the people. Sad part is when Mike Lewis worked there it was awesome. Maybe there is a reason he stays away. No biggie for us as we have atco and cecil.
Cecil has the best monthly program out there bar none so that's where I go first.
From what is said on here, I'd guess Cecil, Capitol and MIR all have good programs.. 75 & 80 was always a spot ppl seemed to love too, for a Sketchy lil track.

Year before last I had a discussion with one of my archnemeses, the dragstrip director. He says "We've done survey's, we know what the top reason people come here are...."
This guy is has zero experience @ being a car guy let alone understanding the culture. So asked him then to tell me what was the main draw that sets the venue apart from other options and he tells me the #1 reason is to hang out with friends.

I just looked at him and said, yep, people don't go to the lake, movies, clubs, festivals, or any of that to hang out with friends. Then of course I gave him that look and said it's a dragstrip, they come for the atmosphere/scene created around the competitive side of the culture... You know the racing, the sounds the smell, the chance to compete or watch actual action on the track. The stuff ppl can't get at a cruise in.. He was lost, but if it had been up to him, he would have kept his sportsman ladder for the street program that regularly pitted 11 sec cars vs Kinzers corvette.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts