1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
wow it didn't take much to drop the awning

·
Registered
907 Posts
WTF, thats freaken crazy, I've caught myself always checking for clearances like that.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
HOLY SHIT THAT"S REAL?

·
Smoke Em if you got Em
12,831 Posts
you have to remember he was moving pretty good and that is allot of iniertia weight there!

WTF!

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
That is what happens when your building code doesnt have snow loads.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Pretty wild to say the least! but no way in hell they got out of the truck by the time the roof fell if that video is in real time, the driver may have had time to lean over toward the passenger side a little

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That thing came down so fast I can't see how anyone had time to get out.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
That is what happens when your building code doesnt have snow loads.

Actually snow load doesn't have much to do with it but if it had been properly designed to resist WIND loads (lateral loads) then in all likelyhood it wouldn't have come down like it did. Inadequately sized steel columns, column connections and probably footings were the cause. Typical of how those drive thru canopies are built, and they don't meet code and aren't commonly looked at by an engineer. Sad. Lucky the guy didn't get killed because his family probably would have a case to sue as sad as that sounds even though he was the dumbass that drove into it. Pretty cool to see how it failed though, exactly what I would have expected.

Craig

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It was on the local news last night, guy lived but they say he was lucky. They didnt mention he was able to get out, just that the truck was crushed and he was lucky to be alive..

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
what a fuckin idiot, he will sue dodge and the camper manufacture, he is employed by obama as a pr person. suprised he wasnt on his cell talking to someone, shoot the asshole . lucky no one was on line for sure .

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Rule #1 ........... know your trailer height!!!!!!
I think width was more the issue. Looks like he was going to drive around it, but didn't swing wide enough. I'm just surprised it had enough oomph to push the whole structure down. Those trailer walls are flimsy at best so was a really poorly designed (or installed) drive thru roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts