Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi hutch---i have a 400 w. t-brake that is late going into 3rd gear. meaning i hit the shifter and the shift is delayed. its a good firm shift. the shifter cable is adjusted on the money. line pressure is good. 1-2 shift is on time. the valve body is 6 or 7 yrs. old and used to work fine. i rebuilt the trans with .075 clearence in the direct drum as was done before. what do you think? thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
19,349 Posts
Im not sure what valve body design you have. The usual complaint is that the 1-2 seems to take time and that is somewhat normal taking into consideration the rpm/sec rate that standard t400 ratio's offer with high numerical axle ratios.
The 2-3 has more time and the shifts usually happen with less rpm increase. Although you say the shift linkage is dead nuts I would give that a recheck, make sure you have no interference with the shield as normally the linkage gets very close with rev man shifting right at the point of reacing the 3rd detent. Be sure to make shifter adjustments from 3 and work towards N. Verify that your dipstick and tube are calibrated correctly for a t400 and that the trans vent line is clean (no restrictions) to prevent incorrect fluid level indications. If a vent hose is connected to the trans it must not go down before going up to the catch can as this will collect fluid in the blow tube and give you false fluid level readings.

Hope this helps,Hutch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts