Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the max tire that will fit in the wheel well?

what back spacing for rims like a 8 or a 10?

what year 12 bolts will bolt up and also does anyone make a kit to bolt a 8.8 in?

who makes good suspension parts for them?

whats best for springs an shocks?

whats a gutted one weigh with a sbc,th350 trans and 12 bolt??

thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Probably get a bunch of different opinions on what you can get in one as far as tires go. Stock or mini-tubbed?
64' - 72' "A" body 12-bolt will work. When using 64' - 67' 12 bolt and using an 8" wheel use 4.5" BS. If using the same rear; but using 10" wheel use 5.5" BS.
When using 68' - 72' 12-bolt and using 8" wheel, use 5.5" BS. If using same rear; but using 10" wheel use 6.5" BS.
If using an "A" body intermediate rear; you'll need a "conversion" UCA. I used the "cheaper" Iceman units made out of mild steel. Went 1.30's and never had any breakage on them.
I used stock springs ( in rear) and Monroe "Gasmatics". In front used Moog V8 replacements and cheap Comp Engineering 3-way adjustables. Nothing "hi-tech".
Should be about 2950 lbs - 3000 lbs with iron heads.

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
What year Malibu?

TRZ Motorsports makes suspension parts for all Malibus (well, all of the ones that are worth owning at least ;)

www.TRZMotorsports.com or PM me with your needs. Tell Mike or Todd that I told you to call them. They also offer a kit to put an 8.8" Ford into once, but you have to call to ask about that one, or ask a dealer (like me :) ).

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Tony my malibu is 2950 without driver, no lexan - glass hood, front bumper with lt wt aluminum supports, kirkey seat 1, small 5 gallon cell, lt wt carpet, bow tie block/aluminum head sb, aerospace 4 wheel disc breaks, M/T wheels.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
A Max Effort mini tub will fit a 315 but its tight, 295's seem to work fine on a 10 inch wheel for most aplications 325's will work but its a short sidewall

TRZ is the place and yes they make a 8.8 and http://www.dragracebrakes.com/ for a brake kit.

Mine is 2890 full int. no driver glass bumpers hood and deck lid

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info again guys.

hopeefuly i will pick the car up next friday when i get back into town..going to have a buddy drop off a dp for me tomarrow.but i'm getting a 78 with a 350 thats bored over 30 with 6k on engine an trans for a good price.

john i was trying to get spires camaro but they seem like they dont want to sell it and have never contacted me back since i've left mesages an talked to howard last.

anyone run the qa1 coil over setup?

i seen trz makes a 8.8 bolt in kit on a diff site but seen they dont have it listed on there site..anyone got a price or a idea of teh cost for it..a buddy of mine said i can have his 8.8 out his car..the bu i'm going to get was a v6 so it has a 7.5 in it..

i'm looking to do just a 540hp 355 pump gas engine with 3.73 gears an th350 trans with 275dr's

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I would stay away from the coil overs myself I run a 212 trick spring 1 coil cut and its low 1/2 inch between the snubber and control arm they have to be replaced every year or cut 1/2 coil and let it settle and dont replace with a 90/10 Lakewood non adjustable and use the limiter TRZ sells lots of stuff not on their site and they discount to YB members give them a call

·
J&E POWER!!
4,965 Posts
the qa-1 coil overs seem to be working on the monte carlo i'm driving, 1.41 60ft's at 3400lbs with a na small block. but i think anything with more power they would hurt, they limit the travel. if you want to go coilover get the trz setup to mount a true coilover. if not the trick springs work, i was going 1.31's with my 4 door malibu with them and junk monroe shocks

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats the common setup for the rear..i'll do the trz upper and lowers but whats the spring choice or rate in the ass end.

john i like how your car sits..its pretty even an low..

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
130# 12 inches mounted on a wolf mustang adjuster from their mini tub kit is what I have on mine top is stock location, it is a Max Effort mini tub the big springs would hit. You will need double adjustable shocks that can be mounted stock location

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I run the same spring Jeff does on the back without the adjuster, no mini tub just a notched frame ( we did adjust the wheel well a little on the inside ) Stock Width 8.5, 15 X 8 wheel 4 1/2 backspace 325/50 drag radial. Up front same spring as Jeff (212 moroso) with bell tech dropped spindles. Single adjust QA-1's on the front and double adjust QA-1's on the rear.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
Show off! LOL

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
LOL yeah, That was the last run on Drag Week man. I dont make enough power to spin the tires

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
You just missed a heck of a deal in the For Sale section on a malibu Tony!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I run trick springs and comp.3 ways on the front of mine.468 all motor with 1.44 short time.Pulling the wheels about 2 feet.It settles nice and smooth.

·
$carface
1,547 Posts
With your cars sitting pretty low, how much ground clearance do you have/need? The headers are the lowest spot for me and it is really low, about 2 1/2 inches. How much clearance do you guys see?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts