Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to put a motor plate on the front of my malibu motor is it necessary a use a mid plate also? If a mid plate is used do you still use a mount on the back of the trans? Thanks - Steve

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There is your set up, if you put a solid trans mount in it, it will break the case, you can just let the trans mount rest against without bolting it also.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I know I couldn't solid mount the trans. I wasn't sure about the mid plate. - Steve

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There is your set up, if you put a solid trans mount in it, it will break the case, you can just let the trans mount rest against without bolting it also.
This is in direct conflict to what my chassis guy told me.
Front mtr plate, mid plate = solid trans-mount.......... otherwise you'll break the case with a flexible trans mount. :confused:

(he's built plenty of chassis' too)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
This is in direct conflict to what my chassis guy told me.
Front mtr plate, mid plate = solid trans-mount.......... otherwise you'll break the case with a flexible trans mount. :confused:

(he's built plenty of chassis' too)
Well, I'll have to disagree with your chassis guy then.

it may also depend on the type of car and chassis. A full tube chassis car may be stiffer than most stock chassis door cars and may be able to get away with a solid trans mount. But most stock chassis door cars have some degree of chassis flex/twist and such situations require a rubber/urethane trans mount.

Think about it, if the chassis flexes or twists and the trans is solid mounted, what's gonna move/break first?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well, I'll have to disagree with your chassis guy then.

it may also depend on the type of car and chassis. A full tube chassis car may be stiffer than most stock chassis door cars and may be able to get away with a solid trans mount. But most stock chassis door cars have some degree of chassis flex/twist and such situations require a rubber/urethane trans mount.

Think about it, if the chassis flexes or twists and the trans is solid mounted, what's gonna move/break first?
I agree there is no harm to having a good urethane tranny mount.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i know a guy who had a super gas doorcar and he broke several tranny,s , it was solid mounted at the trans , he had motor plate and a mid plate but now lateral mounts and the motor and tranny where moving front to back breaking the housing , he installed them and the problem went away .

and with today's generation of 25.2 and 25.3 cars i,m sure there's little to no flex when compared to stuff from yrs back , not to mention lots of guys running full SFI tranny bell housings and cases and they are a shitload stronger then the factory stuff .

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
i know a guy who had a super gas doorcar and he broke several tranny,s , it was solid mounted at the trans , he had motor plate and a mid plate but now lateral mounts and the motor and tranny where moving front to back breaking the housing , he installed them and the problem went away .

and with today's generation of 25.2 and 25.3 cars i,m sure there's little to no flex when compared to stuff from yrs back , not to mention lots of guys running full SFI tranny bell housings and cases and they are a shitload stronger then the factory stuff .
(I can't make heads or tails out of the above ^^^.)
Is this a yes or no?

I'm going to solicit for Gilsbach's expert opinion...............stay tuned.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My Malibu has a front plate, lateral limiters, NO mid plate, and a rubber trans mount. No problems here. 3450# 9.50's at 140.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
With front and mid plates there is nothing to be gained by a solid trans mount, its not like you want the case to be a stressed member, it will just distort it no matter how stiff the car is, it will just be less but all cars flex some just less, its not like the trans is going to flip over,,,,OH WAIT, THERE IS KEVIN CAPLOCKS TRANS!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anybody use the two piece front motor plate that Competition Engineering offers? I only ask because I have one from a project I was doing 20 years ago and never used. Just sittin in the bottom of my tool box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts