Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone work with Silicone molding? Im looking to make a few silicone molds and pour some polyester resin for some knife handles and grips for my side business. I have never worked with this stuff only wood, bone, and a few other materials. What can I expect making the molds? Whats the best release agent?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There are great how to videos on freemansupply.com and smooth-on.com . I use smooth-on.com but either one has comparable products .

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Anyone work with Silicone molding? Im looking to make a few silicone molds and pour some polyester resin for some knife handles and grips for my side business. I have never worked with this stuff only wood, bone, and a few other materials. What can I expect making the molds? Whats the best release agent?
Every topend boat/ship manufacturer I ever worked for, and thats quite a few... uses :

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of people in boat making use was, but I will have some small detail, intricate carving work I am not sure I can cover well with wax without loosing the detail. I think I need a really good spray. Thanks for those links, I have been watching some how to vids on youtube, but if the manufacturer has their own I'll check those out to.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have checked out Freeman, Smooth-on, Tap Plastics, and Polytek.. And I have no idea which product line is best for me. The parts I am wanting to cast are much thinner than what they are doing. I understand the mold can be made for however thick the finish product is to be just on the depth of the pour. BUT what about the casting parts. At most the thickness will be in the 3/8 to 1/2 inch range. I was looking at using a polyester resin for my clear parts to put patterns, and designs behind on the work piece so the pattern will show through.

·
Another Nobody
11,797 Posts
If you are using silicone molds you won't need a mold release for the parts, but you may need a mold release to make the mold. If you want a very good detail then wax the buck (original part) and buff several times, this will fill the pores abut not the detail, the smoother and slicker you get the part the better finish you will get on the mold and thus the finished part. you do not leave the wax on, you rub it in and buff it off, at least 3 times, 10 would be better.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant wax some of the pieces as they are different textures, natural elements so I'll have use the spray release for making the initial molds. Any one have a preference on whose products to use?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Eject-it Mold release order number "33 Petrolease" is a name of one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cant wax some of the pieces as they are different textures, natural elements so I'll have use the spray release for making the initial molds. Any one have a preference on whose products to use?
Freeman supply products are among the best on the market .I have used many of there materials on projects and always with good results.I also use BJB enterprises material as well with good results. For rubber molds you want to use a silicone based release for both mold fabrication and part production. Without the proper release your mold will not last very long and part details will not be consistant.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
oh and if ya vac form it you can spray green seal over the wax and that way ya don't pull wax into the resin and the part. The green seal washes off with water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
oh and if ya vac form it you can spray green seal over the wax and that way ya don't pull wax into the resin and the part. The green seal washes off with water.
Hey cat-can-do, is the green seal a pva(poly vinyl alcohol)? Do you have a problem with green seal seperating when it`s applied? If you`re trying to duplicate fine details in the mold do the green seal distort them because of build up? If all these issue`s are no problem hell I want to try it. It sounds way less expensive. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts